Thursday, June 28, 2012

OBAMA HEALTH CARE UPHELD


From SCOTUSblog - bottom line: entire ACA is upheld, with exception that federal govt's power to terminate Medicaid funds is narrowly read.
MSNBCNews:
In a dramatic victory for President Barack Obama, the Supreme Court upheld the 2010 health care law Thursday, preserving Obama’s landmark legislative achievement.

The majority opinion was written by Chief Justice John Roberts, who held that the law was a valid exercise of Congress’s power to tax.

8 comments:

  1. OMG --I did not expect that!

    O wow... !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. John Roberts' vote did it. I am shocked beyond measure. Swing vote Kennedy voted with the right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize how much I was, "holding my breath" waiting for this decision from the Supreme Court. I also still cannot believe that John Roberts voted for it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ciss, I was, too. Last night, I was feeling down, because I fully expected the decision to go the other way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great! Roberts must be more of a real conservative than we thought!

    ReplyDelete
  6. susam s., you're right. The justices who voted against ACA are activists, not conservatives. Scalia, Thomas, and Alito are rather obviously political. I don't know quite how to classify Kennedy, supposedly the swing vote. He swung the wrong way on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still trying to understand the political fallout---except that it would have been WORSE had it gone the other way. Hoping full implementation of this law will make a real difference, in access to health care for MOST Americans...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The ACA is by no means perfect, but I hope the plan works better than expected. What I'd like to see is Medicare for all, even if the more fortunate amongst us have to pay more taxes.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.