Tuesday, July 10, 2012

AH...EVENTS

 
Your vision after cataract surgery generally doesn't deteriorate over time. However, sometimes the lens capsule that holds the implant becomes cloudy. In such cases, the cloudy capsule can easily be treated with a laser to make it clear again.
Yesterday, after we dropped off my car to have a scraped fender repainted, Grandpère and I continued to the ophthalmologist's office in New Orleans, where I had tests and pictures taken to monitor macular degeneration, which - Thanks be God! - has not progressed since last year.  Then the doctor performed the laser procedure mentioned above to clear up cloudiness in my right eye.  Once the blurriness from the eye drops was gone, I could see an immediate improvement in the clarity of my vision.  What had been my bad eye was now the good eye, and I could see, after the fact, how cloudy my vision had been, and how cloudy the left eye still is.   In a month, I will have the left eye done.  All went well and without pain, but after the hours in the doctor's office and the various procedures, I felt worked over, and we still had to face the traffic before we made our way out of the city and back to Thibodaux.

We returned home after picking up my grandson from day camp; I picked up my laptop and went to my son's house to stay with my grandson until his father returned home from work.   When I reached home later in the evening, our landline phone service was out, so we went through all the procedures of unplugging each phone to check if one of our phones was the problem, but all seemed well there.  This morning, the phones were working again but with static on the line, so I called the repair service and gave my information to the automatic voice connected to no person, and someone is to check the line by Thursday.

The cleaning lady arrived early and began her work, followed by the termite inspector come to check for the little critters.  No termites were found.  As I was eating my toasted Italian bread for breakfast, I crunched down on something hard, which, when I took it out of my mouth, looked like a small stone, and I thought, "What the hell is a stone doing in my bread?"  Upon a closer look, and a strange feeling in my mouth, the "stone" turned out to be a piece of an upper molar.   My dentist will have a look this afternoon, and I'm sure I will need a crown.  Non-stop events take their toll in old age, but I realize life could be much, much worse...whine, whine, whine.  Sorry, sorry, sorry, but I had to do it.

The stained glass eye pictured above hangs in the doctor's office.

28 comments:

  1. Andee is whimpering, I am whining. Welcome to the club.

    Sorry 'tho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, susankay. It's good to have company, if not in misery, in whining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite a day. Thinking & hoping for
    you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, my friends. This afternoon my dentist smoothed the rough edges of the broken tooth and scheduled an appointment on Monday to do the prep for a crown...and life goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh dear Mimi, sounds no fun at all :) At least the eye appointment went well tho, plus there were no termites ... I guess both those things are good? ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My usual whine has turned into a huzzah. Today was cortisone-in-the-knees day. It happens once per quarter. I crawl in and walk out. The trick is to not start believing they are really better just because they are asymptomatic for a few blessed weeks.
    Your eye thing was a great thing. There have been so many advances in eye surgery and eye health maintenance. We are lucky to live in an age of medical miracles.
    Ro Ford
    (Boo Cat)

    ReplyDelete
  7. And you have someone who comes to clean your house! I wish I could get all the flat surfaces in my house clear enough to actually feel comfortable having some one clean. Tom is very bad at just taking over every available space with books, maps, notes and every kind of ephemera too numerous to enumerate, if you know what I mean!

    I'm glad your eye is clear and that you will get the other one done soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ro, I know what you mean about the knees. Happy pain-free weeks!

    The advances in cataract surgery are amazing. I'm old enough to remember when folks were not allowed to move and had weights attached to keep their heads still.

    Cathy, good things happened, and I'm very grateful.

    Tomorrow will be a quiet day?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always say, complaining is good for you. It sure beats swallowing hard and then ten years later having a stroke or taking out a Luby's with a semi-automatic.

    My dad handled the major crises of life with courage and grace. All the little pains and inconveniences bothered the hell out of him.

    Hang in there Mimi.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Counterlight, I agree. Sometimes it's all right to moan about the small things, especially when they crowd in om us all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with Counterlight's father - major crises are much easier to handle than the little pains and irritations of every day. Poor Grandmere Mimi - I am hoping that today took care of a good couple of months' worth of these and tomorrow is quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. susan s., my Tom is really bad about spreading out, too, but once every two weeks, he has to pick up for the cleaning lady, which is a very good thing. What he doesn't put away, she cleans around.

    LA, I share your hopes. Some days, I wish I could be a hermit, far away at the end of nowhere, and no one could find me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well if that saying "It comes in threes" holds true you have had your share for awhile. Hugs and prayers are ascending for you.

    And have you seen the vote on the covenant? I would have liked it better if they had worded a resolution that said something like "Please don't bother us with this stuff until a few years down the road. We are deeply committed and engaged at the moment developing new blessing rites and confering equal status for our transgendered brothers and sisters in Christ."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Bonnie, that would have been good. I thought the Episcopal Church of Scotland got it just about right!

      Delete
  14. Bonnie, thanks for the hugs and prayers.

    The vote on the covenant is another thing that depresses me. Good things happened at GC, but I was shocked that the House of Deputies decided not to decide. I had so hoped that TEC would stand behind the Scottish Episcopal Church and the dioceses in the Church of England with a polite, but firm "no" vote.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chere (((((Mimi)))))
    that's not whining, but simple statement of fact. some days simply..... suck, and you've had one of those.
    'whining' usually brings along her twin 'guilt' and they're both bad company.
    the Queen of the South could do with some slack, maybe even some good news, that's what we're praying for.
    (((((Mimi)))))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh all right, David, the Queen of the South will cut herself some slack. ;-) Thanks for the hugs.

      Delete
  16. Seriously disappointed that the House of Deputies just rubber stamped the mess. That "polite but firm 'no' vote" would have been great and so exactly the message we should be sending to Lambeth Palace. An embargo on the "stuff" they have been sending our way over the last few years is definitely needed. I expect they are winding up to send over a boat load since we have now approved a right for same-sex blessings starting late this year. They just can't stand to see anyone actually rejoicing in "the heart and mind of Christ."

    Fr. Carroll left a note over at The Cafe that he thought the covenant was dead. Hope he's right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, I was surprised by how disappointed I was at the wishy-washy resolution on the Covenant. I counted on the House of Deputies to do better.

      Delete
  17. OH, sorry that should be rite but then again right works too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Replies
    1. Thanks. Today was quiet and much appreciated.

      Delete
  19. Dear Grandmère:


    *Scientific American* has an article titled "How Physics Can Help Patients with Macular Degeneration" at .

    Not quite there yet, but getting closer,
    Pepper Marts

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pepper Marts, my vision is not yet affected. Perhaps, before it is there will be more in the way of help for AMD. The discovery by the physicist is quite exciting. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.