Saturday, July 28, 2012

HUBIG'S PIE BAKERY DESTROYED BY FIRE

The massive fire broke out at the Marigny factory on Dauphine Street between Mandeville and Spain streets before dawn.


According to company officials, two or three Hubig Pie employees were in the building at the time the fire began. The fire is believed to have started in the center of the factory, in an area called the fry-room, and spread quickly throughout the building.
....

"This business fed our first responders after Katrina. Our guys put this out with their tears," said NOFD Chief Charles Parent.
....

"We have and will be a good neighbor, this is hard - we're trying to wrap our heads around it," said Hubig's Pies owner Andrew Ramsey. "We have 40 employees and we will rebuild."

The New Orleans bakery opened in 1922.  As a child, I remember buying Hubig's small, individualized pies from a man who traveled the neighborhoods with a pushcart.  My favorite then was peach pie.   Umm...yummy.  Hubig's folded fried pies (of beaucoup calories), were available in the supermarkets and convenience stores here in Thibodaux, and, now and then, I'd treat myself, or Grandpère would buy me a pie, since he knew how much I liked them.  I salivate when I see the pies.  No joke.  We'll be without them for a while, but I'm so pleased the owners will rebuild.  Hubig's Pies are, as they say, an institution in New Orleans.

Below is a video of scenes from inside the bakery.  You can see how the fried pies are made.



Photo on the right from Wikipedia.

9 comments:

  1. Saw a mention of this on the news & wondered if you would post on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memories, memories...

      The account of the fire triggered so many memories. I'm truly surprised that the fire did not spread to the nearby structures. The firemen did their job well.

      Delete
  2. Mmmmm. Just watching the video raised my glucose level to about 400, I think, but oh, they surely looked wonderful. Hope they can rebuild quickly, so you can have one for me. Lemon or cherry -- even peach. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I know what you mean. The fried pies are decadently delicious. I'll have one for you as soon as I can.

      Delete
  3. They look like Hostess fruit pies...but I'm sure they're better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My thought exactly, JCF. I'm sure that Hubig's was the inspiration. So, is it pronounced HU-bigs or HUB-bigs? or?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HU-big's with a long U. No HUB. The pies are decadent and sinful, like a lot of other stuff in New Orleans. The bakery was once part of a chain that originated in Texas, but the company went bust leaving the New Orleans factory as the only survivor. I do hope they come back.

      Delete
  5. One more thing on my bucket list: HU-bigs fried pies.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.