Friday, July 6, 2012

JANE AUSTEN'S RING UP FOR AUCTION


What excitement! (Well, it is for me, as a true, blue, forever fan of dear Jane.) First the painting of the teenager that could be Jane Austen, and now the ring for which the provenance is much more certain.
A turquoise ring which once belonged to Jane Austen is up for auction at Sotheby's next week. But fans of the romantic novelist will need deep pockets if they are to win the rare piece of jewellery, which has a guide price of £20,000 to £30,000.

The turquoise and gold ring came to Sotheby's from Austen's family, complete with a note sent by Jane's sister-in-law, Eleanor Austen, in November 1863, to Jane's niece, Caroline Austen. "My dear Caroline," wrote Eleanor. "The enclosed ring once belonged to your Aunt Jane. It was given to me by your Aunt Cassandra as soon as she knew that I was engaged to your uncle. I bequeath it to you. God bless you!"
 Other pieces of jewelry belonging to Jane Austen are on display in Chawton Cottage, her final home until she was moved to Winchester to be nearer to her doctors preceding her death a few months thereafter.
In a display case in the drawing room, for example, is a delicate blue bead bracelet with a gold clasp, which belonged to Jane Austen. It somehow seems to symbolize the refinement of her turn of mind. She may have worn the bracelet to balls when she lived in the resort town of Bath - such as those Catherine Morland had the confused pleasure of attending in ''Northanger Abbey.'' In the same case is the topaz cross given to her by her brother Charles and an ivory-colored miniature similar to one that may have inspired the observation: ''The little bit (two inches wide) of Ivory on which I work with so fine a Brush, as produces little effect after much labor.''
How romantic it would be to think that the young Irishman, Tom Lefroy, with whom she flirted shamelessly, gave her the ring, but, since the box is from a London jeweler, it is much more likely that the ring was given to Jane by her brother Henry, who was a banker in London.  And would it be proper for a young man to whom she was not engaged to be married to give Jane a ring?

As I told Lapin, who sent me the link:
Exciting indeed.  I'd bid on the ring if I had the money to spare, but then what would I do with it?  Alas, my collections no longer interest me much any more as I draw closer to the end of life.  It has dawned that you really can't take them with you, and none of my children are interested, except for furniture and my few pieces of good jewelry, which are not antique collector's items.  
Should one quote oneself on one's blog?  Well, why not?

UPDATE: The beaded bracelet, which would have gone nicely with the ring.  I saw the bracelet when I visited the Chawton Cottage museum.


16 comments:

  1. I imagine the sky will be the limit on what this brings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I'd like is for someone to buy the ring and donate it to the Chawton Cottage museum, rather than to one of the larger museums. I won't ever forget my visit to her home which turned out to be quite poignant. It was as though JA was present along with the ordinary objects in her ordinary house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Austen's bracelet. The two pieces would have gone well together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. I added the picture of the bracelet to the post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely ring, I hope it ends up in the museum too. Just this week I came across something you will enjoy, if you haven't seen it already: a 2002 BBC program, The Real Jane Austen:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbuBte4OMo4

    The presenter is an actual collateral descendant of Jane's. Very nice show.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you win the bidding, Mimi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to wonder if the topaz cross might not have been the inspiration for the cross William gives to Fanny in Mansfield Park.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Russ, thanks for the link. I enjoyed the video. I think I've seen most of the dramatizations of JA's books. Some were very good, but I prefer the characters in my imagination.

    Psst Linda, have you started the collection drive yet? You need to get a move on, if I'm to have any chance of being the highest bidder.

    Kishnevi, I absolutely believe the gift of the topaz cross from her brother was Jane's inspiration for the scene in Mansfield Park.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sigh! My husband, Ed, may he rest in peace and rise in glory, LOVED Jane Austen--my only rival. I wish he could see this. Perhaps someone will buy and donate this to the Chawton Cottage museum. And don't you just love the little box it's in?

    Thanks to Lapin for the picture of the bracelet. Love all of that intricate bead work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Huh. I think of turquoise as being a quintessentially American stone (esp. by Native American craftspersons of the Southwest). It's strange to think of uber-refined, uber-English JA having a piece.

    ReplyDelete
  11. JCF, do you know from which country turquoise derives its name? It's a lot closer to England than the American Southwest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Bonnie, what a rival! I do love the box, with the little brass latching hook.

    JCF, kishnevi gives you a hint about the country from which the name of the stone is taken. The word sounds quite French to me, and I must say that when I hear the work pronounced turkoiz, it really grates on my ear, although the pronunciation is correct according to the dictionary. In New Orleans and south Louisiana, we usually use the French pronunciation turkwoiz.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If Ed had known you, that might be rival number two. I honestly think he had memorized all of her books and possibly you have too? I can envision, endless conversation and laughter going on there.

    I think turquoise is the French spelling but with an OCICBW.

    Mention turquoise and my mind immediately goes to Santa Fe, NM; Old Colorado City, CO; and Manitou Springs, CO where you can buy beautifully crafted turquoise and silver jewelry.

    So, why didn't it go to: "and the second row a turquoise, a sapphire, and a moonstone,....? (Exodus 28:18)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bonnie, when you disagreed with Ed, did he call you an "obstinate headstrong girl"? (Lady Catherine de Burgh) We would have had a great time together. One of the jokes that circulates amongst Janeites is, "Real men like Jane Austen."

    How clever of you to think of Exodus.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What!? I never disagreed with Ed. (heh, heh, heh) His motto was "Don't EVER piss her off."

    Agreed, "Real men like Jane Austen."

    ReplyDelete
  16. Never disagreed with Ed? Heh, heh, heh is right.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.