Tuesday, August 14, 2012

GOD DID NOT CAUSE THE DEATH OF JESUS

God surely anticipated that a person like Jesus would be killed by an order established on violence, but God did not kill Jesus, or require his death, or manipulate others into sacrificing him.  God may have found a way to triumph over this crime, but God did not cause it.  Jesus was killed by the definite plan and aforethought of the Powers, as the New Testament writers clearly state.
Walter Wink - Engaging the Powers, p 110

Picture from Wikipedia.

3 comments:

  1. Walter Wink - he gets it right IMO. This is my favorite from him, The Third Way:
    http://www.cpt.org/files/BN%20-%20Jesus'%20Third%20Way.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann, thanks for the link. I'll read when I have a chance. I read the last book of Wink's series first, so I'll probably go back and read the first two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent. I know I'll have to read the other books.

      Delete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.