Thursday, September 13, 2012

A LONG LONG TIME

 

Incredible!  I'm grateful for our 51 years together.  When the milestones come, I often think, "Well I am still here, still around."  On the anniversary occasion, "Well, here we both are, still around."

I searched YouTube for a good version of a romantic song we slow-danced to back in the day, and I found The Platters, "If I Didn't Care,"  The Platters were greatly influenced by the earlier singing group, The Ink Spots, whose music I loved when I was growing up and who first recorded the song. 
 

 

If I Didn't Care

If I didn't care more than words can say
If I didn't care would I feel this way?
If this isn't love then why do I thrill?
And what makes my head go 'round and 'round
While my heart stands still?

If I didn't care would it be the same?
Would my ev'ry prayer begin and end with just your name?
And would I be sure that this is love beyond compare?
Would all this be true if I didn't care for you?

MONOLOGUE: If I didn't care honey child, mo' than words can say. If I didn't care baby, would I feel this way? Darlin' if this isn't love, then why do I thrill so much? What is it that makes my head go 'round and 'round while my heart just stands still so much?

If I didn't care would it be the same?
Would my ev'ry prayer begin and end with just your name?
And would I be sure that this is love beyond compare?
Would all this be true if I didn't care for you?

20 comments:

  1. They don't write them or sing them the way they used to..... Such a pity.
    Thanks! So romantic and lovely.
    A blessed anniversary to you and your husband

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roberta. When I think of the rich history of popular music of the 40s, 50s, and early 60s, I become truly nostalgic. Of course, we are fortunate that we can still listen to the music.

      Delete
  2. All the best to you and Grandpere, Mimi dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many blessings in the year ahead to you and Grandpere! And may you have many many slow dances ahead of you!

    Joel wants to know if you remember "Put another nickel in" (even I remember that one!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks dear margaret.

      Tell Joel I remember.

      Put another nickel in
      In the nickelodeon
      All I want is lovin' you
      And music, music, music.


      And that's without looking up the lyrics.

      Delete
    2. Closer, my dear, come closer
      The nicest part of any melody
      Is when you're dancing close to me


      I had to look up the exact wording for that part of the song.

      Delete
    3. I'll do anything for you
      Anything you want me to
      All I want is loving you
      And music, music, music.

      Teresa Brewer!

      Congratulations, Mimi and Tom!

      Delete
    4. Thank you, susan s. for more lyrics. Today the song is my earworm. I'm gonna get that Joel.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations to you & Grandpere!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. woohooo! Wonderful wishes and bounteous blessings to you and Grandpere! Keep singing, keep dancing (slow and fast), keep playing, keep laughing, keep loving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marez. With enthusiastic encouragement such as yours, we have no choice. :-)

      Delete
  6. Thanks. Grandpère and I both forgot. I thought about the anniversary this morning. GP is out of town all day into the night, so we will have a quiet celebration on another day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary to you and Grandpère!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that romantic sloooow dancin'! And may you have many more years of that along with bliss, joy, blessings and love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Fran and Bonnie.

    I spent the anniversary at my grandson's open house at his school. My son thought it would be a good idea for me to be there, too, since I'm with my grandson in the afternoons until his dad gets home from work. We had all good reports from the teachers, which was quite a nice anniversary gift for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations to two very lucky people.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blessings & congrats to you both! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Allie. I am overwhelmed by the kind words from so many people.

      Delete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.