Saturday, October 27, 2012

JANE AUSTEN'S RING - YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU

 

From The History Blog:
At the Sotheby’s English Literature, History, Children’s Books and Illustrations sale in London this July, a turquoise and gold ring which had once belonged to Jane Austen was purchased for £152,450 ($244,000). As is their wont, Sotheby’s did not release the name of the buyer, but now the buyer has revealed herself. In an interview with British tabloid the Daily Star, singer and first American Idol Kelly Clarkson identified herself as the bidder who won Jane Austen’s ring.
Yes, the ring really did belong to Jane Austen.  But there is a twist to the story.
Unfortunately for Ms. Clarkson, she won’t be wearing Jane’s ring back home. She applied for an export license as required by law, but the Reviewing Committee on the Export of Works of Art and Objects of Cultural Interest advised the Secretary of State not to grant it on the grounds that the object is of national importance. With the export ban in place, the item cannot leave British soil. Kelly is going to have to cross an ocean to visit her ring.
I’m sorry for Ms Clarkson's sake, but I think the ring IS a national treasure. I hope Sotheby forewarned her that she might not be able to take the ring out of the country. My suggestion to Ms Clarkson is to donate the ring to the Chawton House Museum in Hampshire, Jane Austen’s last home, where her other jewelry and personal items are on display.  I was fortunate to visit the museum on two occasions a number of years ago, and I recommend it highly.

My earlier post on the ring.

8 comments:

  1. Brilliant suggestion for Kelly, Mimi! I've never visited the museum, but if I ever get to England again, I'd be tempted to do so based on your recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prairie Soul, Chawton House felt almost like a sacred space to me. Austen's works were a major influence during my teenage years as examples of fine writing, and, in addition, her novels helped form my moral center for which I'm eternally grateful. That's why I bristle when I hear, "It's only a novel."

      Delete
  2. My goodness, this story is crying out to be used as a sermon illustration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim, take the story and run with it as a sermon. :-)

      Delete
    2. Praps Ms Clarkson might be persuaded to allow it to be a Chawton House on loan; that way she retains ownership (useful for the rainy day), but it remains alongside other Jane memorabilia and we (at least us Brits!) get to see it. I may be doing Ms Clarkson a dis-service, but I fear for her its just an investment.
      Its curious you recommend a vist to Chawton. Its less than a hour away, and even when I lived close to it, I've never been there. I live in a village where Jane occasionally stayed and where her brother married into the Lloyd family. So for us she's "one of ours". Over the hill is Netherton House which we sometimes wonder might have given the idea of Northanger Abbey. More research required!
      Regards, Charley Farns-Barns.

      Delete
    3. One of my Facebook friends suggested a loan to Chawton House with the stipulation that Clarkson be able to wear the ring when she is in England.:-)

      And why have you not been to visit Chawton House, Charley? You can visit her gravestone in Winchester Cathedral and see the house on College Street in Winchester where Austen died, but it is a private home and not open to visitors. She was moved to the house in her last illness to be nearer her doctors, for all the good they could do for her back then but relieve her pain.

      In "Pride and Prejudice", Bingley's residence was called Netherton Park. I looked for pictures of Netherton House to see if it was a spooky place, but without success.

      Delete
  3. Whoops! yes Grandma - should have said Netherton Park instead of N Abbey. We think it v likely that Jane went there to the real Netherton House, them being the nearest neighbours of the same social standing.
    Re visiting Chawton etc; its always the way isn't it that when its close and you can go any time, well, you never do!
    Regards, Charley F-B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty ring. Jane clearly had good taste in jewellery.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.