Sunday, November 25, 2012

THE PRIDE OF TENNESSEE - GOP STYLE

Rep. Scott DesJarlais (R-TN), the former physician turned anti-abortion Tennessee Republican congressman, says he hadn’t given abortion as much thought as he “should have” when he supported his first wife’s decisions to have two abortions, and that he often used “very poor judgment” during his first marriage and the separation that followed it.

He now looks back with regret, he says, on the sexual relationships he had with two patients, three co-workers and a drug company representative while he was chief of staff at Grandview Medical Center in Jasper.

DesJarlais won reelection earlier this month, despite the campaign-season revelation that, over a decade ago, he pressured a mistress to have an abortion. In October, he had explained that story by saying he didn’t believe his mistress was really pregnant at the time, and had urged her to get an abortion to call her bluff.
You know, I could have posted a picture of DesJarlais, but I did not want his mug on my blog.  The leopard says he's changed his spots and repented of his wayward ways.  From his website:
Abortion – All life should be cherished and protected. We are pro-life.
Oops!  all those years ago, DesJarlais wasn't thinking...three times.  He will run for reelection in 2014.

14 comments:

  1. All life ... except soldiers sent off to fight or those subjected to death by "capital" punishment (so not a capital idea and waaaaaay more expensive than life in prison all you alleged fiscal hawks ... but, oh so very lucrative for the for-profit prison industry) or the elderly and poor who cannot afford preventive healthcare or the 47% who are such losers that they didn't inherit enough to become "makers" or the gene for unmitigated greed ... all life except these are sooooo precious to guys like him ... but only for their votes. Here ends the mini-rant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very, very few of those who scream the loudest about being pro-life are, in fact, pro-life.

      Delete
  2. I'm confused...why won't he have to run for reelection in 2014?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe he was thinking with the wrong organ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As men tend to do.... Not all men of course. ;-)

      Delete
  4. A fine example of "Do as I say, not as I do."

    BTW I notice from his website that he and his family are "active" in the local Episcopal Church. Not sure what to make of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Russ, what can I say? The signs say, "The Episcopal Church Welcomes You," which includes DesJarlais and his family.

      Delete
    2. Welcome, sure. But if *I* were his priest, I'd be having a talk w/ him [I'm sure we're all very thankful that---diocesan authorities of Western Michigan concurring---I'm nobody's priest. ;-/]

      Delete
    3. Repentance and forgiveness happen, and I'd welcome the congressman in my church, but I could not vote for him.

      Delete
    4. His wife was raised in that church. That's one reason a lot of men attend certain churches. I'm with you, Mimi. I couldn't vote for him.

      Delete
  5. Do you think his constituency would have forgiven and re-elected him if he were a Democrat? I'm betting no on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bex, who can know the minds of DesJarlais' constituency?

      Delete
    2. Only if they were Democrats, I think. But his constituency isn't.

      Delete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.