Sunday, November 18, 2012

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY FROM TREMÉ

Davina Lambreaux (Edwina Findley), in the Tremé HBO series, asks her brother Delmond (Rob Brown) for help with their father, Albert (Clarke Peters), who wants to stay in his ruined neighborhood in New Orleans three months after Katrina and the federal flood. Delmond, a musician, says he can't help.
DELMOND: I’ve got gigs.

DAVINA: We all got gigs, Delmond. Life is a goddamn gig.
The series is marvelous.  We don't have HBO, so I'm only now watching the beginning episodes on DVD.  More about the series later.  Lots of quotable dialogue...some probably not suitable for my family friendly blog, but we'll see.

6 comments:

  1. I'm so hooked on this series, I watch it on Sunday night and then again at least once more through the week. The real strength of the series, in my estimation, is the strength of the families. Delmond and Davina are wonderful adult children to their curmudgeon father. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth, I cringe when I start to watch movies or TV shows about New Orleans, because so often what I've seen bears little resemblance to the place I know and love. Tremé gets it just right, and the series is a delight. I stopped the DVD more than once to take time to transcribe the dialogue on my phone. I'm glad you like it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Grandmère, hello Elizabeth -
    "Tremé" is also spot-on in its depiction of musicians and the musician's life. I'm a professional singer, have been all my adult life, and it's very very rare to see anything so accurate and so true in film or on television.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laurel. New Orleans is a musicians' city, and I'm pleased to know the series is accurate in showing the lives of the people who make their living there playing music.

      As Creighton Bernette (John Goodman) says to the NPR interviewer at the end of his rant, "This ain't Lake Wobegone goddam it."

      Delete
  4. Sounds fab. Not showing in the UK that I know of. Life is a gig - it's very true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, if the series ever shows over there, watch it. It is terrific.

      Delete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.