Wednesday, June 19, 2013

FROM MY KITCHEN WINDOW

 

What I see from my kitchen window.




What I want to see from my kitchen window.

The palm plant is a giant, which completely hides the view of the beautiful oak tree in my back yard, so it must go.  Grandpère summoned help to cut the palm low or to the ground, as it is now too large for him to handle alone.  I love all my oak trees, four of them, but especially the two in the back yard, which are the oldest.  When we built 30 years ago, we repositioned our house on the lot to save the oak in the picture.




 

The sun was bright the afternoon I took the pictures, so bright that the color of the roses shows only in the shaded part of one picture.  GP dug up the bushes from New Roads, and replanted them here in Thibodaux, where they thrive all on their own, without the TLC that roses usually demand in our humid climate.  I suspect the hardy roses are an older, non-hybrid variety, but I could be wrong.

6 comments:

  1. The palm definitely has to go ... beautiful, awesome tree! We had some wild pink roses that smothered a fence on the east side of our yard and bloomed exuberantly all summer ... and nearly killed our neighbor who was a retired golf course gardener who loathed, just loathed anything wild, unruly, unplanned ... he would reach his clippers under the fence to cut the roses back, but that just encouraged them ... he even got to cut them all down while my mom was in the hospital and not monitoring him, but back they came, frustrating him no end ... the roses and the queen anne's lace along that fence just made him furious but we loved them ... green things waaaaay nicer than most people (present company most definitely excepted :-) ...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The palm plant will go. There will be no reprieve. We have a vine growing on the half wall on our carport that is so wild I fear it will strangle us in bed one night. Everything is growing wild with the rain every day.

      I love the story of your mother's roses that defied all the efforts of the neighbor to destroy them. On our side fence, we have a climbing rose with tiny leaves and tiny dark red blossoms that is getting out of hand, but it's not in our way nor does it bother anyone else.

      Delete
  2. You're blessed to have such a lovely yard,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Russ, I know. I'm very grateful for my yard and to Grandpère for all his hard work to keep it looking good - that in addition to his efforts with the vegetable garden which yields delicious produce

      Delete
  3. Your peonies are beautiful! They are my favorite flower and have 3 different colors in my garden. The roses are too, but I have a real problem keeping roses - except the miniatures which seem to thrive in my garden along the back of the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peonies? Were you looking at another post, Christi? When we first moved here, Grandpère tried to grow roses, but he had the same problems as you, and he gave up. The two bushes and the climber take care of themselves.

      Delete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.