Tuesday, November 5, 2013

MEANWHILE BACK ON THE HOME FRONT


Right after I left for England, Grandpère planted and tended greens in his autumn garden.  He knows I love my salads, and greens fresh from the garden make the best salads.
 

By the time I came home, the greens were ready to eat. Grandpère does not pull up the entire plant but rather breaks off leaves until a frost is on the way or the plant gets too old.  The two photos above are different varieties of lettuce.


My favorite green, roquette (rocket), is pictured above. Grandpère plants roquette especially for me, because he doesn't care for its bite, but the bite is what I like. The best salads include a combination of the three greens.

All too often, I take for granted the fresh produce from the garden, and sometimes it takes a reminder from others for me to realize how fortunate I am to have fresh fruit and vegetables throughout much of the year.

6 comments:

  1. I am so jealous of your growing season! Fresh lettuce in November! My garden is basically done at the beginning of September except for some straggly tomatoes.

    Although I think because I can only enjoy it for a such a tiny sliver of time, it is probably even more precious and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will enjoy the lettuce and roquette for a while, I hope, barring an early frost.

      Delete
  2. Yum.

    Speaking of late season gardens: all summer long, per (sadly) usual, the eggplant blossoms fell off the plant (I blamed lack of bees).

    Now, in *November*, I currently have 4 small-to-middling eggplants on my egg-plant (I have already harvested one). Go figure...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plants sometimes go their own way. Tom has grown eggplants in the past.

      We are losing bees, and I think few people realize how important the insects are to agriculture.

      Delete
  3. Am I missing another post here? About my eggplants? [My bad, if you just haven't approved it yet]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had not moderated your comment through, JCF. I don't like having to turn on moderation, but you should see the number of spam comments that would go through if I turned it off.

      Delete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.