Friday, January 31, 2014

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, THOMAS MERTON


Icon by Tobias Haller.

Birthday of Thomas Merton, writer, poet, Trappist monk, saint in my canon.  He would be 99 years old today.
My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it. Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.
Thomas Merton, Thoughts In Solitude

8 comments:

  1. A wonderful prayer I first read years ago but had almost forgotten about. It speaks to me today. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Seven Storey Mountain changed my life when I read it during my college years. In later years, Merton said of the book, "Perhaps if I were to attempt this book today, it would be written differently. Who knows? But it was written when I was still quite young, and that is the way it remains. The story no longer belongs to me...."

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I should never say that. :-) It's just that I'm posting less, and I don't want people to worry.

      Delete
  3. 99 !!!! Seems impossible!
    Thank you, God, for Thomas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back in the 80s, I created a "Saints Wall", w/ cut-outs of my own personal saints, ancient & modern: TM had a prominent place. [If I ever had a son, thought I might name him "Thomas Martin", to incorporate the names of two modern saints]

    I was at the Cathedral Bookshop in Sacto. today, FINALLY getting an Ordo Kalendar (on the last day of the 1st month!). The shop has a book giveaway cart, and I claimed a copy of "Contemplation in a World of Action". [I know that today is his birthday (even knew it was his 99th!), but didn't remember.] Holy Spirit at work! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a saints wall of Tobias Haller's icons. So far, I've printed and framed three: Hildegard von Bingen, Thomas Merton, and Teilhard de Chardin.

      Delete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.