Tuesday, January 1, 2008

AMAZING GRACE - IRVIN MAYFIELD, JR



My New Year's gift for those of you who are not glued to the TV watching football is this video which shows Irwin Mayfield, Jr. of New Orleans, playing "Amazing Grace" on the Elysian Trumpet, which was hand-built by David Monette.

This stunning instrument has been created to honor the memory of all who perished due to Hurricane Katrina. Its design celebrates the rich musical and cultural heritage of New Orleans and the sounds of our Jazz legends. Jazz has been the heart of this city since the days of marching bands and Louis Armstrong. Today this indigenous music is more important than ever. The cultural strength of Jazz moves us from disaster to a new beginning celebrating our history and giving us the inspiration and blessing of the many that have gone before us. Monette, along with nationally known artist and goldsmith Tami Dean have been collaborating for nearly 25 years

The video was made at Christ Church Cathedral at the Eucharist at which Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefforts-Schori presided and preached during the meeting in New Orleans of the House of Bishops of the Episcopal Church. The service was beautiful, but this performance by Irvin Mayfield, Jr. was outstanding and quite moving. Here's what I wrote the day after:

The trumpet produced the sweetest sound I have heard come out of a horn - ever. And I have heard many trumpets. Mayfield played the most magnificent "Amazing Grace" that I have been priveliged to hear. Two such superlatives, one after the other, may be hard to believe, but they are true. I was crying during his performance. What heart! What an instrument!

Trust me that you do not get the full effect of the sound in the video. You had to be there.

10 comments:

  1. WOW!

    My goodness, my goodness, my goodness!

    (And that piano player's no slouch either!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'mere -- what a lovely present. Another gift has been a year of your blog. And Molly the WonderDog (who is finally doing well) sends love, woofs and thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellie, the piano player was great, too. I'm glad I wrote my early memory, because the true magnificence of the performances fade with time.

    Susan, I posted your comment. People want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly wonderful and I followed the link to read about the horn. What a memorial for Irwin Mayfield, Sr. and all other victims of Katrina.

    Thank you for this gift. What a way to start the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An excellent way to begin the new year. Thank you Mimi! And Happy New Year.
    Lindy and Rowan

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was not even the full effect you say, but I was weeping. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's New Year's, Sugah; don't you think JohnieB gotta at least look in round New Orleans, eh? The best place to go, and the best sound around: Mimi's, yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad y'all like my New Year's present. When I first wrote about the performance, there was no video available. I was delighted to find it at YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I heard him do it at the Convention Center for the Archbishop of Canterbury and Episcopal crowd for the service there. It really is something else.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aaron, welcome. I heard him at the Convention Center, too. I was in the Episcopal crowd. The performance is amazing anywhere, but I preferred the effect in the more intimate setting of Christ Church Cathedral. I was in the third or fourth pew there.

    Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. I am a native of New Orleans, but I have lived away for a long time. It's still the home of my heart.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.