Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Fr. Christian Says, "Stop It. Now."

Over at his blog, GAFCON, Fr. Christian has wise words for the members of the Anglican Communion. He nearly made me cry, and that NEVER happens over there. I'm usually falling out of my chair laughing. He says:

Lately I’ve been coming across more and more people threatening to leave the Anglican Communion if xyz doesn’t happen. The particular xyz bugging them varies; some are convinced their parish will grow tenfold if a bishop in the North-eastern U.S. resigns, while others feel victimised by a centuries-old colonial conspiracy preventing them from being proclaimed Archbishop of Canterbury, but their response to the bee in their bonnet is always the same ultimatum – “play my way or I’m going”.

That's wrong, says the wise Fr. Christian.

The first reason is straightforward: I took my vows of ordination because God called me to be a Priest in the Anglican Communion, and as confirmation of that He first convinced a Vocational Assessment panel and their Bishop. Like Evangelical Eric you might find that a mysterious act on the Almighty’s part, and to tell the truth even I wonder about it from time to time, but none of this changes the end result one little bit: I’m here because God called me to be here. If I’d have been predisposed to praise bands and fluorescent ties God would doubtless have called me to another denomination, and you’d call me Pastor Troll instead of Father Christian. Or perhaps if I’d have had a predilection for Jesuits and doing creepy things with the deceased the call would have come from across the Tiber. But instead I was called to be here, and here I am.
....

The second reason is just as simple: the Communion is a family, not a business, sporting club or lodge. Whether we like it or not, part of belonging to our church involves accepting each other as brothers and sisters, and uncles and aunts. You might think I’m a wicked old parody who’s not even very funny, and I might think you’re living proof of the dictum that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing – but we’re no less called to be part of the same family as you and that terrible uncle who’s always “rearranging himself” and can never remember he already told that same fart joke last Christmas. When it was no less inappropriate. Or the Great-Aunt who discusses her rectal fistula over the chocolate mousse. And little Dwayne, who was “only kidding” when he broke into your car looking for cash.


Families don't talk about walking away when times get tough. I've quoted a good portion of his post, (which I hope that he does not mind my doing) but you should click the link and read it in its entirety. It's quite good.

11 comments:

  1. That was great! Oh my- really great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I am touched and impressed. Fr. Christian expressed exactly what I believe about being called to the Church and viewing church as family.

    I have felt that I was called to the church I am in. Sarah and I have faced some really tough times when she began her transition and our relationship began but we have stayed in our church. Some really hurtful things were said to us and about us, but with the exception one brief time (this was me), we have not considered leaving. We just "know" this is where we are supposed to be.

    My prayer is that the Episcopal Church can have a view like Fr. Christian and that we can move forward not in spite of our differences but with the advantage of our differences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed the only really sensible post from Father Christian??

    I agree with him 100%. Children can dislike each other, they can even refuse to speak to each other. But their relationship is not defined by what their likes and dislikes, but simply by the fact that they share the same parents.

    They can go into their rooms and slam the door and never come out again, but they cannot stop being siblings.

    Wonderful really, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a surprise to find this gem at Fr. Christian's place. He always post gems, but this one is in a category all its own. It's quite moving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is what I like most about Episcopalianism, the sense that they argue and grump but in the end, they are still church.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked it too Grandmere. But I am too intimidated over there to leave a comment--and the comment I would make is that we are more than family. Like it or not, we are one body, and each part needs the other.... like what Paul said.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Margaret, he won't bite. Say your piece. You're right.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You mean the Church isn't a political party with a platform agenda? Christianity isn't about winning?

    Saint Niccolo Machiavelli pray for us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Counterlight, I fear that all too often, the church fits your description.

    After all, the Medici family were Machiavelli's patrons, and they pretty much ran the church, too.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.