Friday, August 29, 2008

Our Lady Of The Driveway - I Remember Katrina



Thanks to Athenae at First Draft for the photo and the title. She took this picture when she was in New Orleans at the end of March, when a group of us led by FD bloggers, Athenae and Scout Prime, gathered to gut a house, view the destruction, and squeeze in a little fun.

The statue of the Virgin Mary stood in a driveway. The head was broken off, but someone had put it back in place. The photo and the title struck me with such force when I first saw it that I have never forgotten it. The image of the statue of Mary in the driveway - "Mary, full of grace" as Athenae calls her - was the symbol of my destroyed and broken home town, my abandoned city, my beloved New Orleans - always full of grace to me.


Our Lady Of The Driveway

O Mary of the Driveway,
Broken like your city,
Your head lies on the ground.
A sorry sight, a sign,
A sign of devastation
Wrought by wind and water,
Angry blow and raging flow.

A passer-by, one of tender heart,
Sees and stops and mourns your head
Lying there apart,
And gently, gently takes it
And replaces it.
There. Our Lady's whole again.
Or so it seems. Or is it so?

Grandmère Mimi - 5-13-07


I posted the picture and the poem first on May 13, 2007 and then again on the anniversary of Katrina last year. Until I change my mind, I will post the picture and the poem every year on the anniversary of Katrina and THE FEDERAL FLOOD, which, in New Orleans, was not a natural disaster but an ENGINEERING DISASTER. I remember the more than 1800 people who died and all those who loved them. I remember the 275,000 who lost their homes. I remember those who survived, but suffered through horrendous conditions in the days after Katrina. I remember those who have not returned to their home towns, and who want to, but can't find affordable housing. I remember those in Louisiana and Mississippi still struggling to recover and rebuild their homes and their lives.

And now, on the third anniversary of Katrina and the federal flood, here we are watching and waiting to see where a storm named Gustav will make landfall. It's surely not where any of us wanted to be, but it's where we are.

UPDATE: I added to the title of the post to make clear the connection to the anniversary of Katrina and the federal flood.

UPDATE 2: Scout at First Draft has a wonderful pictorial remembrance of Katrina.

9 comments:

  1. Amen to all your prayers and remembrances, Grandmère.

    Thank you for keeping the memory and its subsequent reality alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quick. Bury St. Joseph "head-down" in the front yard (or the wetlands, or wherever). He backs out just at about the right time, every time. And all shall be well. (It's a very old story, grandmere; blessings.)

    (Hesitatingly....shall I hit "publish"?)

    I thought about this a long time and then I decided to hit.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. God have mercy on us all. This post moved me last year and moves me again.

    Prayers for all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Grandmere --you leave me speechless. It could be so easy to get discouraged, and yet you continue with prayer, passion, wit and faith.

    God bless you --and we are praying for all those who still suffer, and for those in the path of this current storm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you get Scout's picture file to work? I just get the title page.

    Stunning poem, Grandmère....

    prayers continue from far away Vermont.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to all of you.

    Caminante, I stole her image without her permission. It's the fleur-de-lis at the top of the sidebar. If she tells me to take it down, I will.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't written in a while but I have been praying.. the poem was great.. such a powerful yet humble image of what happened and the will and courage of the people who endured it.. It should not be forgotten..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this post for the first time and I love it still. Your poem explains all my tumbled emotions seeing the photo that I could have never identified.

    You really shouldn't be hit by another hurricane before complete recovery from the last one, in some areas where recovery is scarcely begun. Mama always said life wasn't fair, and I still think it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What can I say? Tears fill my eyes. Thank you all.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.