Saturday, October 11, 2008

Another Good Man Gone

Fr. Geoff Farrow, a Roman Catholic priest from Fresno, California, about whom I posted earlier, has been suspended from the priesthood and removed from his position as pastor of his parish for speaking out publicly in his church against his bishop's "pastoral" letter advocating a vote in favor of Proposition 8, which would ban gay marriages in California.

In a letter which I wrote to our bishop early this week. I explained that I intended to take a private retreat and then, unless I heard otherwise from him, resume my duties at St. Paul's this weekend. Today, I heard from the bishop that I have been suspended as a priest and removed as pastor of the Newman Center. In all candor, I had anticipated that response which is why, I had removed my personal property from the parish house and offices. I bear no personal animosity to the bishop for his decision.
....

I have no regrets since, it was my hope that this statement would lead to greater discussion of the treatment of gay and lesbian people in and by the Church. Also, it is my earnest hope that in some small way, this helps to preserve the civil rights of gay and lesbian persons which are currently under attack by the proponants of Propostion 8.


How sad that a courageous and compassionate man such as Fr. Farrow will no longer be permitted to continue in his ministry. My prayers are with him during this very difficult period.

H/T to Brian at Noble Wolf.

12 comments:

  1. You know how this breaks my Catholic heart. That said, maybe the old structure won't change because it will not allow itself to change. As a result, it must die and come to life again.

    Perhaps this is one of the signs of that happening. I suspect that he is the first and there will be others.

    Between this and lay people like Douglas Kmiec and Nicholas Cafardi who can challenge the church from within and are choosing to do so... Well something is happening out there. It may be painful, but it is not necessarily bad.

    I hope this makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fran, what you say makes great good sense. Unless people like Fr. Farrow and those you mention continue to challenge what they see as wrong policies of the authorities, change will never come. The personal cost to Fr. Farrow of following his conscience is great, the death of his ministry as a priest of the RCC. However, I have no doubt that new life has already begun, and that somehow, some way, after this powerful witness, his ministry will continue.

    Very truly, I tell you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains just a single grain; but if it dies, it bears much fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The death of the patriarchy is, and will continue to be, protracted and painful and bitterly fought. This honest priest is one more victim of the struggle, but he has shone his light brightly (and I do not think the darkness will overcome it).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul, indeed! The darkness will not overcome this bright light.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a shame, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Göran, it is a shame, but much good will come from what Fr. Geoff has done. He's a mensch. The comments are coming through now at his blog, and there's a ton of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is too sad. I dropped by and left a comment of encouragement. What a fine man and what a sad day. When will we learn that God's love is bigger than we can imagine.

    I am hopeful that Fran is right. But oh gosh the opposition among the ultra conservatives will be loud and caustic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AFeather, he surely needs our prayers and support.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pilgrim, thanks for your information about the Facebook group.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Grandmère - let's hope lots of people show their solidarity by joining :)

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.