Saturday, October 11, 2008

Bloggers' Prayer

Fr. Scott quotes the prayer below which he will pray, and he invites other bloggers to join with him in praying.

"Almighty God, you proclaim your truth in every age by many voices: Direct, in our time, we pray, those who speak where many listen and write what many read; that they may do their part in making the heart of this people wise, its mind sound, and its will righteous; to the honor of Jesus Christ our Lord."

(Book of Common Prayer, page 827)


The prayer is one of the many hidden treasures in the BCP, which I had not yet discovered in my 14 years in the Episcopal Church. Shame on me. It's a lovely prayer. I've prayed a version of it myself, asking God's help that my blog will bring honor to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. (No, don't laugh. I am not kidding!) I well know that I have, too often, failed to live up to that ideal, but I hold on to it in hope that one day I will, and I shall continue to try.

My only quibble with the prayer is in the joshing comment I left at Scott's place on "what many read". I told Scott, "Depending upon what you mean by 'many'...."

3 comments:

  1. Grandmere --I think you truly do bring honor to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. And few do it better.

    Blessings on you and all the work you do to reveal God's kingdom --margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Margaret.

    I have loved that prayer since I first discovered it (probably in trial usage since I read all interim prayer books from cover to cover).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both, Margaret and Paul. I believe that I will need to put the prayer in a permanent spot on my sidebar.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.