Monday, December 22, 2008

My Wee ChristmasTree


My wee Christmas tree
Dressed in pretty orbs and lights
Charlie Brown's no more


My first idea to simplify decorating the Christmas tree away from the seven footer, which was our previous practice, was a small twig tree, but I could not find a twig tree. My daughter-in-law knew that I was looking for something small and simple, and she found a Charlie Brownish tree with sparse branches, few needles, and a pine cone here and there. I loved the tree. It was perfect.

Howevah! I dressed the tree, and dressed the tree, and dressed the tree again in ornaments and lights, until the Charlie Brown effect was gone, vanished, disappeared. Who can tell if it has full branches with needles on every inch? No one, because it is so drenched in decorations. There it is. It is what it is.

Another plus with this wee tree is that I can carry it to the closet upstairs, still wearing its finery, place a dustcover over it, and - voila! - it's ready to be carried down the next year and placed on its table. The damask tablecloth was an after Christmas discovery, priced at $6.00 reduced from $26.00.

12 comments:

  1. We have a small tree, although not that small. Ours is four feet and has to be disassembled completely every year. I'm having wee tree envy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No tree. Just going to enjoy the one at church. Going ultra-simple and quiet this year (last year too, now that I think of it - I was c/o family much of December anyway last year, got back just in time for Christmas) and also fear what Ms. Bishop Who Thnks She Is Still A Kitten would do with any kind of hanging branch or ornament.

    Love the red brocade. And the efficiency!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No tree for me either this year. My aunt used to cover her tree (decorated) each year and slide it out on the "storage" porch and the next year it was all ready to go. You and she are very clever. Merry Christmas. j

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's for my grandchildren, but, in truth, they don't think very much of it. It's TOO small.

    Ruth, wee tree envy? Too funny.

    Jane, I imagine that +Maya may show her wild side with ornaments to bat around.

    Jay, I've heard of the big ones that roll into a storage area.

    Ellie, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tree, Mimi. The stand on my new artificial tree was defective and I had to return it (tonight). Of course there are none left to replace it. Maggie and Belle and all their siblings were most unhappy when I told them tonight that we would not have a tree this year. (But we didn't have one last year either, it's just that they were all excited that I was going to put a tree up on Saturday. Alas.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul, my heart goes out to the girls and their siblings. Their father should not wait until the last minute next year, so as not to dash their hopes again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got the tree weeks before but in my family we used to wait until mother's birthday, 12/19, to get a tree, so I thought Saturday would be perfect for setting it up. Bad dad, I know. I will try to be better next year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paul, confession and repentance is good for the soul.

    Bubs, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Johnieb, thanks a bunch. That makes up for my grandchildren's opinions.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.