Monday, June 15, 2009

Prayers Please....

Fran requests prayers for her sister-in-law, who recently had surgery, and is now suffering from post-operative bleeding.

Fran has a paper to finish tonight, so please pray for her, too, as she is worried sick and can't reach anyone now and finding it hard to focus on her paper. Her SIL must have gone to a hospital for help, but she doesn't know for sure.


UPDATE: FranIAm said...

Thank you for all of the prayers. My SIL called at 11:40pm to say that she was just home from the hospital.

They do not ultimately think the bleeding has long term danger, she is off to see her surgeon today, an appointment that was already scheduled.

I am so grateful for all the prayers - I will keep you posted.

God bless.



BLOGGER DOWN!

From Ellie at Child of Illusion:

Dear Readers,

Here's an email I sent out to a number of friends and family members last Friday:

Dear friends and loved ones,

This morning I received a certified letter from the bishop of Oklahoma informing me that, for financial reasons, my position with the diocese is being eliminated and that my employment will be discontinued effective December 31, 2009.

I had already begun the process of petitioning for early retirement and was hoping to qualify for medical retirement. That effort now seems to have been preempted unless there is some legal loophole I don't know about.

I'm confident that I can raise enough money to live on through my work at the Center (St. John's Center for Spiritual Formation here in Tulsa). My big concern, of course, is health care coverage. The law gives me 18 months of extended group coverage if I pay what it costs my previous employer. As of today that cost is $611 a month. After that I am essentially uninsurable privately because of my medical history. I will need to come up with some plan to provide medical coverage for myself until I'm eligible for Medicare when I'm 65. (I turn 60 next month, by the way.)

Well, that's the news, folks! Do keep me in your thoughts and prayers and if anybody has any ideas regarding my predicament, I'll be glad to hear them!

Every blessing to you all,
Ellie


Of course, there's more to this story. The "official" reason the Diocese is giving has to do with budgetary concerns. However the reality is that the new bishop has disliked me from the get go -- for reasons that continue to escape me. It's all very sad.

I will probably say more about this later. For now, this will have to do.

9 comments:

  1. Prayers for Fran and her SIL and for Ellie
    I hate pushing this but in Australia you are usually better off if you are retrenched than if you retire voluntarily and, of course, medical benefits do not depend on employment

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the prayers, we have still not heard a word and we are so concerned.

    And Ellie- oh my, I can't believe it has come to this, this is so wrong.I am really praying for you.

    Mimi- you are a gift to us all. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers, Prayers, Prayers. Without ceasing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian, it sounds like Australia is a reasonably civilized country!

    I've got lawyers working on it but Oklahoma is an "at will" employment state which means wrongful termination can only be proved when there's some sort of discrimination involved against a protected group - like a racial minority or someone who is disabled.

    Thanks for the prayers everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can someone explain to me how the church of all places dares to treat people like this? This is absolutely appalling. Prayers, prayers, prayers!
    And for Fran and her SIL too, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for all of the prayers. My SIL called at 11:40pm to say that she was just home from the hospital.

    They do not ultimately think the bleeding has long term danger, she is off to see her surgeon today, an appointment that was already scheduled.

    I am so grateful for all the prayers - I will keep you posted.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prayers ascending for dear SIL - and for Ellie, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ellie - before your COBRA eligibility expires, find out who the private HIPAA carrier is for your area. You can pay for an individual policy without medical underwriting. There are limitations on the coverage, but note that all-important part: no underwriting. It's only an option when you start out with group coverage.

    HTH.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prayers Ellie, it is quite unfair. And also for Fran and her SIL.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.