Sunday, February 11, 2007

From The Lectionary

In the readings at church today, Jesus, in Luke's Gospel, turns the world upside down speaking the glorious words of the Beatitudes:

Then he looked up at his disciples and said:
‘Blessed are you who are poor,
for yours is the kingdom of God.
‘Blessed are you who are hungry now,
for you will be filled.
‘Blessed are you who weep now,
for you will laugh.

‘Blessed are you when people hate you, and when they exclude you, revile you, and defame you on account of the Son of Man. Rejoice on that day and leap for joy, for surely your reward is great in heaven; for that is what their ancestors did to the prophets.
‘But woe to you who are rich,
for you have received your consolation.
‘Woe to you who are full now,
for you will be hungry.
‘Woe to you who are laughing now,
for you will mourn and weep.

‘Woe to you when all speak well of you, for that is what their ancestors did to the false prophets.
Luke 6:20-26

My friends, that's how Jesus describes life in the Kingdom of God. Can't you see why there were those who wanted to kill him? His words are the very opposite of what we, in our worldly ways, think of as success in life.


The Old Testament reading today, from Jeremiah, speaks to us of hearts. In my previous post, I joked about hearts at the very end:

Of course I could be wrong, because I tend to lead with my heart, then follow with my mind. Some folks seem to have no hearts. I can't think what keeps them alive.

Perhaps those final words had been better left unsaid, because some folks took them seriously and personally and were offended by them. For that I am sorry.

The reading today from Jeremiah brought me up short:

The heart is devious above all else;
it is perverse—
who can understand it?
I the Lord test the mind
and search the heart,
to give to all according to their ways,
according to the fruit of their doings.
Jeremiah 17:9-10

Plainly, judging hearts is best left to God.

9 comments:

  1. But your heart is with others, Mimi. That is where God wants us to be.

    It is one thing to worship God and another entirely to worship "the word of God".

    The Gospel for today is especially applicable to the upcoming meetings in Tanzania. I'm praying the Holy Spirit will convince the men that their hearts need to supercede their fears and lusts for power.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pseudo, I'm praying, too.

    May the power of the Holy Spirit flow into the minds and hearts of the bishops in Tanzania. May the love of God flow freely and bring healing. May the grace of God be made manifest in all who are present.

    May God bless and protect Bishop Katharine and give her strength and courage to follow as the Spirit leads. May he fill her heart with his love in overflowing abundance. Make he give her peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed that Jeremiah verse this morning too, Mimi, and reflected on its relevance to our conversations.

    Surely the truth is that the God of creation made both hearts and heads, and expects us to use both. Both can be used in rebellion againt God, and both can be submitted to God's will.

    I also find it useful to remember that what we mean by 'heart' today is not what biblical people meant by that word. When we say 'the heart' we often mean 'the emotions'. But in the Bible they thought the emotions were in the bowels, not the heart. 'The heart' to them meant what we would today call 'the will' - the seat of the choices we make, which determine the kind of person we're going to become.

    For myself, I would resist polarising mind and heart (to use our modern way of speaking). The mind can be heartless, and the heart can be less than wise. They need to learn to work together in harmony. I pray that my mind is renewed (as St. Paul prayed in Romans 12:1-2) by God's truth, and that my heart makes the right choices based on the Way of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also find it useful to remember that what we mean by 'heart' today is not what biblical people meant by that word.

    Tim, no doubt, you are right. But I mistakenly took it to mean what heart means today, and it worked! That's an example of God's living word in action. He turns even our mistakes to good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is anyone else having trouble over at Our Exalted Leader's blog? Something he posted there tonight doesn't agree with my Firefox browser - it freezes up every time I try to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not having trouble, Tim. The site probably needs an exorcism.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mimi,
    After spending all day writing this, I got to go checking up on blogs and what did I find at MadPriest's but that you are a librarian. When I married Liz, she was a librarian (and had been for several years) but even before we were married she told me she wanted to quit and do something else.

    Allen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Allen, Rex was the king of the Twelfth Night party! That's too much.

    I liked the library profession much more when it was about books, rather than about technology.

    I read your wonderful post and left a comment over there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mimi,
    By that time we were all so used to Rex's name that nobody noticed it wasfunny. Thanks for your kind words.

    Allen

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.