Monday, February 12, 2007

Quiet, So Very Quiet

Down in my small pocket of Episcopal land - and it is small, as my area is heavily Roman Catholic - all is quiet. One would hardly know that we have a new Presiding Bishop in the Episcopal Church. Her name is never mentioned, except by a few brave souls who include her by name in the Prayers of the Faithful. She is, thus far, Bishop She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

I watched Bishop Katharine's investiture live, and I loved it. She seemed to take delight in the ceremony, and I did, too. It was dignified and beautiful, as was our new PB.

I'll add this little prideful parenthesis: I picked Bishop Katharine as the best of those in the line-up of candidates for Presiding Bishop, when Fr. Jake posted the video interviews at his web site. Her qualities of quiet dignity and grace impressed me.

I expected to go to church the following day and find others to share my delight, but apparently, no one else watched the investiture, and there was no mention at all during the liturgy nor the sermon that we had a new PB. Later in the week, I asked my rector why no mention. He told me that after the early service, a parishioner had come to him to say how displeased he was about her election, so the rector thought it was best not to mention her. I told him how much I admired her, and how I had enjoyed watching the investiture, and that I would have liked to have had an acknowledgement that we had a new PB - just to go on record to let him know that he had one parishioner who was quite pleased about her election.

Our bishop is Windsor compliant. He states that he has no intention of leaving the Episcopal Church. He follows the Windsor Report's recommendation, in that he has postponed the ordination of a lesbian member of my church, who meets all the requirements for ordination to the permanent diaconate. He attended the recent Camp Allen, Texas, meeting of Windsor bishops, to which Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts-Schori was not invited. I am told that certain African bishops were invited. What little I know comes from sources outside my diocese, for our diocesan web site gives no information about the Camp Allen meeting, who attended, what was discussed. It appears that only bishops were present; no priests or lay people were there, as far as I know.

Bishop Katharine is not mentioned at all on the site, nor is there a link to the web site of the national office of the Episcopal Church.

The Windsor document calls for a "listening process", but to my knowledge, there has been no listening happening in my diocese. I asked one of our lesbian members if she knew of a "listening process", and she said no. No one is listening to her, that's for sure. Therefore, our bishop would appear to be Windsor compliant only in part.

Our small church does not have a particularly strong interaction with the diocese, with the exception of our recent search for a priest, in which the diocesan officials seemed to have a more heavy-handed involvement than usual. The bishop exercises his pastoral duty when we are between rectors by sending interims or suggesting supply priests. He makes his regular visitations, and relations with with him are quite cordial during the visits. We lay out a nice feast for him. Otherwise, we're in our own little world.

There is little to no mention in my church of the national church and its present state of crisis, nor of the troubled state of the Anglican Communion. I don't bring it up either, for if folks are not stirred up, then why should disturb their peace?

I'm uneasy about my bishop's silence. He says he will not leave TEC, but what are the Windsor bishops up to?

Before I finish, here's a link to a Dave Walker cartoon at The Wibsite, explaining the Windsor Report in a way we can all understand.

19 comments:

  1. Dear Mimi, our dioceses seem to share some characteristics. We also are led by a Windsor Bishop (WB) who has stated he harbors no intention of leaving TEC. He issued a letter before ++Katharine's investiture stating he could not in good conscience attend. He has attended the WB meetings, but shares no info about them. In fact, there has been no diocesean newletter since last June. The website for the diocese was also pulled down a couple of weeks ago, presumably for an update.

    However, the parish i belong to openly celebrates the leadership of ++Katharine. It quickly becomes apparent that many in my parish are uneasy with our Bishop's leadership, though i've not heard anyone be less than respectful. Our clergy are restrained from blessing same-sex unions, but in the day-to-day life of the parish they openly and joyfully acknowledge glbt parishoners and their relationships. While i'm anxious about the actions of the Windsor Bishops, that anxiety does not extend to my parish.

    Thanks for the cartoon link, and i really appreciate reading your blog. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott, the gays and lesbians in our congregation are honored by the rector and the membership, and they serve in positions of leadership.

    It's the silence from the diocese that bothers me. Where are the Windor bishops headed, and why such secrecy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leadership by denial and avoiding conflict. Yes, that always works out well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leadership by denial and avoiding conflict.

    KJ, you're so smart. That's the perfect capsule description of the Windsor bishops, so far as I can tell, what with all the secrecy.

    If you have not already, go read this excellent post by Rmj at Adventus on gender and the exercise of power within the church.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally, the Windsor Report explained in a language I can understand! Thanks, Mimi.

    I am sitting here drinking coffee, reading all the blogs, avoiding the trip to the bloodsucker. I must get blood drawn as a runup to my latest PetCT scan. I suppose I should be confident that I have gotten this far without another recurrence, but it's always nerve racking before the scan. I know this is off topic, but it unnerves me and I know we have this in common....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, I know the feeling. It's time for my mammogram. My prayers go with you for a good report.

    Never worry about off topic here. Some of the best comments are off topic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mimi,

    I feel for you down there LaLaLand.

    I had a conversation with a gay seminarian yesterday who was recently confirmed in the Episcopal Church and is worried that the current situation may make it difficult for him to become a candidate for Holy Orders. I told him I don't think it would be a problem in this diocese, but I don't really know.
    It's a time for serious prayer.

    Allen

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a time for serious prayer.

    Allen, amen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aren't we all in serious prayer here?

    And thanks, Mimi. I'll let you know. Thursday is the BIG day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Mimi,

    I watched the investiture for the first time on DVD on the bus trip up to Lodi, California this weekend for a celebration of Jesus by Episcopalians in the Diocese of San Joaquin. I got goosebumps when I watched her knock on the door.

    (There were hundreds of us there--all of us wanting to stay in the Episcopal Church. Well, almost all of us...I wrote about it on my blog.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome, Aghaveagh. My heart and my prayers go out to those of you in the Diocese of San Joaquin. It's heartening to know of the hundreds. I'm sure there are greater numbers of faithful Episcopalians who were not able to be there.

    Wasn't the knock on the door a wonderful moment? Ah, so many wonderful moments.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Well, almost all of us..."
    Aghaveagh,
    Hi. I just read the article in the Chronicle about the meeting! I guess Mr. Schofield had to be there to make sure his side was not mis-represented, eh?
    Lordy, if the Primates do what he wants I think he will bust a gut with excitement!

    I used to live in Modesto and attended St. Paul's for awhile, but that was long ago. Now I live in Berkeley. I have The Diocese San Joaquin in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aghaveagh -- thanks for the in person view of the trip to Lodi -- I sent a link to Bonnie.
    Re: mammograms etc -- for my 65 birthday I caught up on all those "tests" -- found out my insides are only 18 years old - so now am averaging my age. 41.5 -- I'll take it. And all of you trot down to have those tests - they are not as bad as people say.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mimi, could you email me at tim dot chesterton at gmail dot com? I want to chat with you about something and would rather not do it in the comments sections of our respective blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very OT. Luis Barrios, who is an associate priest at St. Mary's, has an important court appearance tomorrow. Read about it here.

    Keep him in your prayers.

    Thanks,
    Allen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Allen, the link doesn't work, but I will pray. God will know what Luiz's needs are.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You know, whenever there's a tragedy in the neighborhood:

    * a man beats his wife and children to a deadly pulp

    * a woman shoots her husband while he sleeps in his bed.

    * someone is hauled away by the police as a:

    Pedophile
    Mail bomber
    Serial murder . . .

    . . . .someone in the neighborhood will appear looking like 'bambi in the headlights' while talking to a news reporter and, dollars to donuts, will say:

    "S/he was such a QUIET man/woman/family. I'm just shocked to know that there were any problems at all."

    I think the first symptom of serious trouble in "the family" (or "neighborhood" or "church") is "quiet, so very quiet."

    It's just not natural.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Leave it to the FORCE from New Jersey to enlighten us. So very true, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry about the link. It's to my blog. I don't have time to fix it now 'cause ILiz and I are leaving to get down to the court.

    Allen

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.