Thursday, May 24, 2007

Off To See The French Femmes



The Excursionist by Pierre Auguste Renoir


Today we're going to the New Orleans Museum of Art to see this: FEMMES - Paintings of Women in French Society from Daumier to Picasso from the Museums of France.

Afterwards we will find a good restaurant to have lunch. Many of the excellent restaurants have reopened since Katrina, so we should have no difficulty.

Our own country didn't care for the citizens of the city, but the French cared enough to send this wonderful exhibit to the folks of New Orleans and to help tourism spring back.

UPDATE: We're not off to see the Femmes. I checked the museum's web site, and they are CLOSED ON TUESDAYS! We'll try again on Thursday. Good thing I checked.

Anyway, it's a pretty picture.

UPDATE 2: Moved up again. Today we really are going to see the Femmes.

UPDATE 3: The Femmes were fabulous! The Renoir pictured above was absolutely gorgeous. I'll write more about our day trip later.

10 comments:

  1. Oh Grandmère Mimi.

    Have a wonderful, wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandmere Mimi,
    I saw the exhibition and it is WONDERFUL! I esp. liked the commentary explaining the role of women in the New Orleans recovery. I was so moved I wrote a thank you note to the French embassy in Washington DC. As you mentioned, I stated how welcome their support was, esp. since it was given during a time our own country had not committed to our renewal. I said they were "a light in the storm" and I meant every word. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous. I love Renoir's faces. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PJ, we hope to have a wonderful day on Thursday.

    Anonymous, thanks for word. I was moved that the French government seemed to care more about New Orleans than our own government. I am a native of New Orleans, and I still love the city, although I don't live there any longer.

    Thanks, Pseudo. I'll report back on the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are just being like the French - at least in Paris all museums are closed on Tuesdays.

    How wonderful that this exhibit is there. Makes me want to write the Embassy too!

    Enjoy it when you get there and have a dee-licious lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truly a significant event: may it bear rich fruits to the new life of a most precious place.

    Thank God for the French, who remain good friends--the kind that do not encourage nor condone their friends' failures--without them we'd be Canadian, which is not so terrible a fate, I think.

    Some years ago, before we had to fix a two hundred year old Historic monument, our parish sponsored a day-trip to the Clark in Williamstown, Ma; they have a lovely Renoir collection, among other treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I "heart" the French. Buy us back, PLEASE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I assumed you were back, Mimi, from your post at Jake's, and I don't even have to ask how it was! I am so fond of the Impressionists. When I lived in NYC, on any day when my spirits needed a boost, I'd go up to the Met and spend the day with my friends Renoir, Monet, Manet, Pissarro, Cézanne & co. What a great bunch! So I hope your day was like that... filloed with that soft inner light.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds wonderful. Looking forward to your notes on the day.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.