Tuesday, July 17, 2007

He Didn't Do It

From CNN:

Well, he didn't do it before he did do it.

(CNN) -- Sen. David Vitter broke a week of silence on Monday and, with his wife by his side, denied allegations he had relationships with New Orleans prostitutes.

"I know this has hurt the relationship of trust I've enjoyed with so many of you," Sen. Vitter said Monday.

Media reports surfaced in the past week linking the Louisiana senator to a well-known prostitution case in New Orleans. Vitter attributed those charges to "long-term political enemies" and people seeking money.

"Those stories are not true," he said.

Vitter admitted he made calls to an alleged prostitution operation in Washington, offered an apology "to all those I have let down" and vowed to resume his work in the Senate.

....

"No matter how long ago it was, I know this has hurt the relationship of trust I've enjoyed with so many of you," he said. "I will work everyday to rebuild that trust."

The family-values Republican also addressed what some critics see as his hypocrisy, saying he's been "trying to live up to the important values we believe" since admitting to his mistakes.

"If continuing to believe in and acknowledge those values causes some to attack me because of my past failure, well, so be it," said Vitter, who does not come up for re-election until 2010.

"I'm not going to answer endless questions about it all over again and again and again and again. That might sell newspapers but it wouldn't serve my family or my constituents well at all," he said.


The end?

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Grandmere. I got my lazy blogger's duff and finally blogrolled you. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should say, got "off" my lazy . . . etc. Need more coffee now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geor3ge, thank you. I'll return the favor. Which blog of yours shall I blogroll?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever of him to let the Little Woman do the talking. That courtroom experience came in real handy. And, let it be said, she did do an excellent job. Hit all the right buttons. Particularly liked the bit at the end where she subtly tried to turn the whole thing on the media.

    As I said rather uncharitably a day or three back, the proof of the pudding will be in what she does when he's OUT of office.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lapin, Vitter's comportment during his brief appearance did him more harm than good. His wife's was excellent and probably helped him.

    I think of and pray for their children.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.