Monday, July 30, 2007

Ingmar Bergman Died Today



May he rest in peace and rise in glory.

His movies made me think about serious things, life and death, God, when I was still young. "The Seventh Seal" was unforgettable. "The Wild Strawberries" was unforgettably beautiful. Even when I didn't understand fully all the symbolism in his movies, they left a deep impression.

Kris Rasmussen, at Beliefnet has an appreciation, in which he gives us his favorite quote from Bergman:

"It is my opinion that art lost its basic creative drive the moment it was separated from worship. In former days the artist remained unknown and his work was to the glory of God... Today the individual has become the highest form and the greatest bane of artistic creation."

Oh, I like that.

Link from Jim Naughton at the Episcopal Café.

4 comments:

  1. My husband loves Bergman's works. He'll be bummed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane, I'm pleased to hear that someone else likes Bergman. I first viewed his movies at an impressionable age, and they were good for me.

    Although he ended up an agnostic, he asked the right questions, especially in his early films.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quote is one of the better I've seen in tribute to a great artist who, like Sebastian Bach, proclaimed a message of faith, despite, or through, his Agnosticism.

    I was, and am, fond of his work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good! Chalk up another one for Bergman.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.