Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Is Newsweek Gay?

Newsweek arrives in our mailbox each week, but, since it's become flimsy and, more and more, seems to resemble a version of People Magazine, rather than a real news magazine, I usually skim through it, rather than read it.

As I was skimming the August 13, 2007 issue, I came upon this article in the Periscope section:

In 1954, psychiatrist Fredric Wertham, citing the bare, parted legs of Batman's ward, Robin, said comic books promoted homosexuality. Since then there have been questions about other characters in tights. But no guesses are needed for Thom Creed, the gay superhero in the young-adult fantasy novel "Hero," to be published by Disney's Hyperion next month. Creed even falls for another gay superhero.

I remembered Robin in tights, like the rest of the heroes - though he was more of a mini-hero, a hero-in-training. However, when I Googled an illustration of a Batman comic, I saw Robin was, indeed, barelegged. Quelle horreure!

I had not realized that back in 1954, folks - "experts", even - were speaking of the ease with which popular culture could affect and even change sexual orientation.

As to Batman's sexual orientation, I had heard "wink wink" references to millionaire Batman and his "ward" Robin, but I wanted more information. I found this from The Panel at Silver Bullet Comics:

Is Batman Gay?

By Alan Donald

The Panel gathers movers and shakers from across the industry together to answer your questions!

My choice for the funniest answer is from Terry Moore:

Terry Moore: “Is Batman gay? Actually, I know the answer to that, but I'm not allowed to say. The government commissioned a report on the matter and everybody who worked on it is now dead. So, you'll have to draw your own conclusions. Let me just say this, Batman is no more gay than Wonder Woman is into bondage or the Flash is into red latex. Batman did not have inappropriate dealings with any of the seemingly endless stream of little fellas he kept around like a Bangkok colonialist and that should settle the matter. Now we need to put this mass right-wing conspiracy behind us because he has to get back to work for the American people. Now the Joker on the other hand...”

You can read the other responses of the panel at the site.

And now gay men will have their very own out-of-the-closet superhero. A good thing, no? Now on to the lesbian superhero! I know, I know. Many already claim Wonder Woman, but she's not really "out".

Moving on in Newsweek, I find this article titled:

Show 'Em Whatcha Got

Conscious of their community's financial clout, gay activists want action on equality issues, not just talk.


Aug. 13, 2007 issue - Gay men and lesbians have always had a soft spot for Hillary Clinton. In the mid-'90s, when "homosexual" was still a dirty word in much of the country, Bill Clinton and his wife socialized in the White House with a broad circle of gay friends. In the dark days of Whitewater and Monica, gays leaped to Hillary's defense, needing no convincing that a "right-wing conspiracy" was vast and real. At the annual gay-pride parade in Manhattan, drag queens and go-go boys compete for prominence with New York's political elite, but Clinton is always the star of the show.
....

But for all her gay support, what has Clinton really done for gay rights? Not much, some gay activists say, but neither has Obama or Edwards.
....

...the Democratic front runners' positions on major gay issues—for repealing "Don't ask, don't tell," for afederal ban on employment discrimination, for domestic partnerships but against gay marriage—are identical to those taken by Al Gore and Bill Bradley eight years ago.
....

Recently, Clinton has more eagerly sought a spotlight on gay issues, condemning her husband's "Don't ask, don't tell" policy. In a primary field where the most prominent candidate supporting same-sex marriage is Dennis Kucinich, she may well retain rock-star status with gay voters. Pragmatic activists say they don't expect a conversion from Clinton, Obama or Edwards on marriage soon; they'd simply like to see candidates talk about gays outside of fund-raisers and gay-themed debates. "It's the emotional disconnect that's frustrating," says Matt Foreman, executive director of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force. "Hillary Clinton is totally comfortable around gay people ... All of the candidates are. Yet when they talk about us, they freeze."


I'd say being comfortable around gays and lesbians is not enough for a candidate. George Bush is apparently comfortable around gays and lesbians. I have it on good authority that the staff in the White House includes a good many gays and lesbians, but what does that do for the larger community? With the exception of Kucinich, the obvious public discomfort of the candidates when gay issues come up, the deer-in-the-headlights look, is disconcerting.

The candidate with the views closest to my own is, sadly, the one who probably doesn't have a chance at the nomination, Dennis Kucinich. Go, Dennis, go!

Then, near the back of the issue in the Newsmaker section is a Q&A with Ann Hathaway, the actress, who plays Jane Austen in the movie, "Becoming Jane", with this exchange:

Your boyfriend sounds too good to be true: handsome and Italian.
We sort of worship each other. We were desperately in love the first year, then we became each other's best friends.

He works with the Catholic Church. Have you met the pope?
I met John Paul II.

Your brother is gay, yet the church isn't exactly gay-friendly.
I'd rather not discuss criticism of the Catholic Church. They've done a lot of great work throughout the world.

Do you consider yourself a hag?
(Comment: Wow!)
You can never consider yourself anything. You have to be labeled that.

Have you been labeled that?
By some, yes. About 95 percent of my friends are gay men.

How do folks lived with this sort of compartmentalizing?

That's a good bit of coverage of gay issues in a "mainstream" news magazine. Perhaps, there is a growing realization that gays and lesbians are a force in our society, especially, an acknowledgment that they have money to spend - for isn't that what it's all about in the US today.

So. Back to the question in my title: Is Newsweek gay? You can weigh in about Batman and the presidential candidates' attitudes and actions, too.

21 comments:

  1. Oh my gracious no: not nearly gay enough, not even a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really care about Newsweek's sexual orientation, though I care very much about the mass media's political orientations.

    As for Batman and Robin, I certainly had my suspicions. Like every ten-year-old boy of my era I had a crush on Annette Funicello, which had nothing to do with my inchoate fantasies. For fantasy I had all those superheroes in their tights, showing off all kinds of muscles and hints of packed speedos - and, on the Disney front, I always wanted private time with Spin and Marty.

    Having grown up I will choose a stunning and genuine smile over rippling muscles every time, but I still enjoy the eye candy and want to thank Brandon Routh for his fine Superman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Johnieb, I've pretty much given up on the so-called "news magazines", but my husband seems to be under the impression that there's still news in them.

    Paul, in my research for the post, I took a walk through superhero comic book land, and, to me, from the other side of 70, they all look gay. And Wonder Woman looks like a lesbian.

    Is there something wrong with me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I weigh in on tights? I know this is place is proper if not prim (not at all like Mad Priest's) but it's been a goofy day with some detours through memory lane and the ballet video world and I need to get back to work soon and I don't know where it is that I should confess that for years I thought that Nureyev packed himself into those revealing tights for the sake of the ladies -- even after getting his autograph and seeing him in person in the eye makeup and ponyskin Neru jacket and matching platform boots -- circa 1969 or 70. I thought he was to die for.

    (I'll try to be serious another time, sorry)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Klady, he was to die for. I knew he was gay from way back, but that made him no less attractive to me.

    On the other hand, I believe that Baryshnikov was packing them for the ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suspect that "packed" is/was the correct term in a good many instances.

    Mimi, I have a friend here in SC who was chief editor at Marvel comics in the later 60's. He would not take kindly to that suggestion about superheros.

    Though I think you're right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lapin, even as a child, I realized that many of the illustrations in the comics were quite well done. You can tell your friend that. The drawings were absolutely fascinating to me.

    To suggest speed in a still segment of a strip or book requires a good bit of skill. And the muscles showing through the tight clothing!

    No packing back in the day, or I would have been shocked out of my Roman Catholic schoolgirl mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. obviously this conversation is out of my league. I had no thoughts about Batman and Robin. I led a sheltered life.

    I started getting "The Week" instead of Newsweek about 1 1/2 years ago. I don't miss it too much.

    I actually miss the newspaper, but my hometown newspaper has gone downhill lately.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He's currently scripting, of all things O. Wilde's "Portrait of Dorian Gray". I gather that he finds it a little lacking in action.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Diane, I try to keep the place clean, but obviously I don't always succeed.

    Trust me. I led a sheltered life also.

    I think back to the Nancy Drew books. One of her best friends was named George, but George was a girl, and a tomboy, and had short hair. What would the puritanical watchdogs make of a character like her in a children's book today?

    And Nancy did, too, have a sporty maroon roadster. Folks argue that the roadster was blue, and that's true. But in three books in the series, she had a maroon roadster. Wiki says so.

    ReplyDelete
  11. to me, from the other side of 70, they all look gay. And Wonder Woman looks like a lesbian.

    Is there something wrong with me?

    Of course she's lesbian! She is my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, I don't know if Newsweek is gay or not, but as we've discussed before, I'm completely homosexual and in the mid-60s, while watching the "Batman" series, I had eyes only for Burt Ward.

    There. I've said it and I'm glad!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lapin, will there be a new movie version of The Picture of Dorian Gray?

    Muthah+, so I'm not crazy.

    KJ, are you sure that it wasn't watching the bare-legged Burt Ward that made you gay?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not that I know of - he's doing the script of a several-part (4?) comic book adaptation of the novel. "Libretto" and illustrations are usually the work of different folks. The difficulty, I gather, is maintaining interest for that long.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lapin, is this like the "Classic Comics" that the students used to read when they didn't want to read the assigned books and couldn't even manage to get through the "Cliffs Notes"?

    ReplyDelete
  16. My Little Marcy exposure occurred first, so I suspect that is the origin of my gay. I have no regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's precisely what it is - he just finished "Last of the Mohicans". Normally he does more mainline comic-book stuff, plus he edits a monthly magazine on comic-book history.

    ReplyDelete
  18. KJ, Little Marcy was a mighty force. I expect she is responsible.

    Lapin, it's interesting to know that the comics are still in demand, even with the intertubes in operation.

    By the way, the father of the idea that info on the internet runs through tubes, Sen. Ted Stevens - R - Alaska, is in trouble. The FBI and the IRS are investigating him.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Grandmère, FWIW there was already a publicly known gay superhero (though he was in a relatively minor book) in the late 80s. In the Marvel comic Alpha Flight, the Canadian hero Northstar came out in a press conference.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jim, welcome. Thanks for that information. Who knew? Not me.

    This new gay superhero is in a novel, not a comic book. Not quite as good, I think. Not the same mystique.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My first stirrings came about through Leif Garrett.

    Pity how he turned out, though.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.