Monday, September 17, 2007

Bush - "I Am Right"


Rep. John Murtha
at The Huffington Post:

A week ago on a Sunday talk show, a reporter expounded on a personal moment with the president in the White House when she asked him, "Mr. President, how do you continue to press forward when the war is so unpopular and things seem to be going so wrong in Iraq?" The president responded, "Because I am right."

Right about what, Mr. President?

Right about weapons of mass destruction?

Right about Saddam's involvement in 9-11?

Right about mission accomplished?

Right about thinking he could fight this war on the cheap?

Right at the ease at which Iraq could be transformed into a pillar of democracy?

We've heard the rhetoric, now let me talk about the facts.

To date, there have been more than 3,700 Americans killed in Iraq. For every American soldier that dies, nine are wounded, many with catastrophic trauma with long term effects. This translates into an additional expenditure of $350 to $700 billion in medical and disability costs to veterans, not to mention the countless suffering of thousands of American families for years to come.


The title of the article is "Nothing Petraeus Said Will Change How Americans View the War." Rep. Murtha is right. It's time for the Congress to go on record for withdrawing our troops from Iraq. Bush may veto whatever measures the Congress passes, and there may not be enough votes for an override of the veto, but I say to the Democratic members of Congress, especially, but to all members of Congress, "Do it anyway. Remember. You work for us. We pay your salaries. We have expressed our views on this misbegotten war. Please do as we ask. Go on record for ending the occupation of Iraq."

As Rep. Murtha says:

This administration has again given the American people a false choice: EITHER we stay in Iraq indefinitely OR, they say we face chaos, genocide, and an Iraq whose biggest export is terror not oil. There are many other choices that haven't been tried, such as concerted regional diplomacy coupled with strategic redeployment of troops. I believe redeployment is the way forward. They say, 'what happens if we leave?' and I say 'what happens if we stay?'

11 comments:

  1. Remember, he's the 'decider.' And if you're that, you can't be wrong. As Lucy Van Pelt is attributed to have said, 'I never make mistakes. I think I did once but I was wrong.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caminante, LOL on Lucy. Bush is our big, bad Lucy. You laugh or you cry, and you can't be crying all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah the inability to admit a mistake... even one.

    That is a sure sign of a lack of humility.

    Which I find curious because as a Christian and a recovering alcoholic, humility is the bedrock on which all is built.

    I mean... I'm just sayin...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Real Men never admit they are wrong, because their penises would fall off if they did.

    (Crazy, I know---but it's the best explanation I can come up with...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fran, I see no evidence of a shred of humility in the man.

    Doxy, that's as good a reason as I've heard from the "real men".

    ReplyDelete
  6. The worst president. ever.

    Just returned from two weeks in Ireland with my two nearly-adult children, and we all heard nothing but scornful contempt for our unspeakable leader. Mssrs. Bush and Cheney, along with Condizilla and the rubber-stamp Congress(unfortunately, not just Republics), have brought affection for the USA among our fellows in the educated world to a terrible nadir.Don't even consider the contempt of all besides Israel in the Mid-East.

    Obama, Dodd, and Richardson have publicly stated their opposition to continued funding of this Iraq debacle without a firm schedule for withdrawl of American troops. I'm afraid that's the best we can hope to achieve. We just have to push the remainder of the Democrats and whoever still has a conscience among moderate Republics(an oxymoron?) to stand up--before we all stand down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. John D, No quarrel from me on Worst President Ever.

    I have not left the country since 2003, except for a brief forays into Canada from a cruise ship. I am ashamed. I am embarrassed. Perhaps, that's a bad attitude, but that's how I feel.

    What you say of how the rest of the world views Bush is no surprise whatsoever.

    At least some of those who do travel abroad let folks from other countries see that we're not all like Bush.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How could one live with someone who is always "right"? And here we are.. .

    ReplyDelete
  9. The whole topic of the government in Washington is so depressing, that I usually don't comment on it.

    All I can say about Bush, Cheney, and co. is "Ugh!." And that goes for most of the Democrats, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Doxy, that is hilarious and oh so right.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am roaring with laughter from Wormwood's comment!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.