Thursday, October 18, 2007

Feast Day Of St. Luke The Evangelist


Image from Les Très Riches Heures du Duc de Berry at the website of Christus Rex.

The extract from Saint Luke is related to the Annunciation: "And in the sixth month, the angel Gabriel was sent from God into a city of Galilee, called Nazareth." (Luke I: 26)

From James Kiefer at the Lectionary:

In Luke's account of the Gospel, we find an emphasis on the human love of Christ, on His compassion for sinners and for suffering and unhappy persons, for outcasts such as the Samaritans, tax collectors, lepers, shepherds (not a respected profession), and for the poor. The role of women in Christ's ministry is more emphasized in Luke than in the other Gospel writings.

I couldn't resist posting the illustration and lettering from the beautiful book of hours of the Duc de Berry and the reminder by Kiefer of Christ's humanity and inclusiveness.

As usual with the early saints, Padre Mickey has a wonderful post on Luke this morning.

13 comments:

  1. As always- beautiful. I love that image as well. Thank you Grandmere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely illustration, Abuelita.
    And as always, thanks for the link.
    Have fun at the Madpriest bash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know we'll have fun at the bash. I wish you the Lovely Mona could be with us, Padre.

    See ya, Fran.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I love the Feast of Saint Luke. Not sure why - perhaps because he is the patron Saint of Sewanee, and we always had a great bash in his honor. Nonetheless, I always enjoy the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. David, our previous rector was a graduate of the seminary at Sewanee.

    Were you there as an undergraduate or for seminary?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mimi,
    Seminary, T'04. I did three years at Sewanee and received my MDiv from there, then went on to my internship and a year of further study at a Lutheran sem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. David, then you may have known him. His name is Stephen Hood.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have a St. Luke window at our church. I took a picture of it to my oncologist whilst I was taking Chemo. I told him that he should know that St. Luke was his saint. He said that he was happy to accept help from all quarters. I am glad that he didn't say something smart like he didn't need any help. I must say, I love my doctors and never miss the chance to tell them in small ways.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan, what lovely thing to do. I might just borrow that idea from you. You have good doctors.

    We don't have a Luke window, but I could find a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the reminder of Saint Luke -- wonderful photo from Les Tres Riches Heures. On this day of the physician, remember all those who need healing of any sort.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Caminante, amen, prayers for those who need healing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, great stuff in the last few days! Art AND poetry....inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Agha, thanks. I love the pretty ones. Of course, the very best of what makes them pretty is stolen from others.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.