Wednesday, November 21, 2007

A Blessed and Happy Thanksgiving!



A Psalm of Thanksgiving.

Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth.
Worship the Lord with gladness;
come into his presence with singing.

Know that the Lord is God.
It is he that made us, and we are his;
we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.

Enter his gates with thanksgiving,
and his courts with praise.
Give thanks to him, bless his name.

For the Lord is good;
his steadfast love endures for ever,
and his faithfulness to all generations.

Psalm 100:1-5



A Litany of Thanksgiving

Let us give thanks to God our Father for all his gifts so
freely bestowed upon us.

For the beauty and wonder of your creation, in earth and
sky and sea.
We thank you, Lord.

For all that is gracious in the lives of men and women,
revealing the image of Christ,
We thank you, Lord.

For our daily food and drink, our homes and families, and
our friends,
We thank you, Lord.

For minds to think, and hearts to love, and hands to serve,
We thank you, Lord.

For health and strength to work, and leisure to rest and play,
We thank you, Lord.

For the brave and courageous, who are patient in suffering
and faithful in adversity,
We thank you, Lord.

For all valiant seekers after truth, liberty, and justice,
We thank you, Lord.

For the communion of saints, in all times and places,
We thank you, Lord.

Above all, we give you thanks for the great mercies and
promises given to us in Christ Jesus our Lord;
To him be praise and glory, with you, O Father, and the
Holy Spirit, now and for ever. Amen.

Book of Common Prayer 836-7

The photo shows the altar at San Cristóbal in Panamá, decorated for "Harvest Thanksgiving". San Cristóbal is Padre Mickey's parish church. I hope that he does not mind my stealing his photo. Isn't the altar beautiful?

20 comments:

  1. Mimi, as you know we Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving a month earlier (it's a bit colder up here), but a blessed and happy Thanksgiving to you and yours down there in the sunny south!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't really understand it over here in the Motherland. Nevertheless. I hope everyone has a really fab time.
    D.P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another mystified Brit wishes you a happy one - have a great time, and don't eat too much. Unless you really want to, I suppose.

    Mimi, I seem to be getting caught up in your blog quite regularly these days, so I've taken the liberty of adding you to my list of links to things worth reading - hope that's OK?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the holiday good wishes, all you "foreigners". Tim, you get it because y'all celebrate the holiday, too.

    DP and Mike, we set aside a day to thank God (or whoever) for the blessings of the year. Why is that mysterious?

    Oh, and many of us eat too much, which is not a good thing, especially only a month before Christmas, when we will eat too much again.

    Mike, I'm honored to be on our blog list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving, dear Mimi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving, Mimi. One of the multitudinous things for which I am very grateful is the privilege of meeting you and sitting with you at dinner in New York. You are a blessing to all of us with your sense of humor, your forthrightness and your humanity. We thank God for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jan, Piskie, thank you. I'm grateful for all of you who visit and comment. You bless me.

    Piskie, the privilege and pleasure was mutual at our wonderful gathering in New York.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh lookie, la grandmère est allée en Panamá! She sure do get around.

    Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She sure do get around.

    Caminante, not as much as you, my friend. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes, yes, prayers and litanies and readings for the day are all fine and dandy -

    but what we all came here to really find out is: are you a stuffing or a dressing person? and, are there sweet potatoes on the table?

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oyster dressing-stuffing and sweet potatoes will be part of the menu.

    I cooked the oyster dressing according to my best guess of my grandmother's recipe - she never wrote them down - and this year is the best I've ever done, if I say so myself, although it's still not as good as my grandmother's.

    Grandpère cooked a sweet potato and apple dish.

    We always called it oyster dressing. What's the difference between dressing and stuffing?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Thanksgiving!
    I'm thankful for this community, and for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dennis, have you seen this quiz?

    (I came out stuffing.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stuffing? That's dressing inside the bird, right?

    I'm thankful for so many new wonderful online friends, many of whom aren't that bad in person, on first acquaintance.
    I can't count them all, so may I let our dear Mimi represent all y'all?

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Thanksgiving, Grandmere...from me and my four cats!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mimi,
    I'd love your oyster dressing(southerners NEVER stuff) recipe, allowing for inevitable quirks that come with traditional family dishes. My dressing attempts should be sent to +Duncan, for penance.Can only Grandmeres make an appropiate dressing?

    I'll send my e-mail if you want to keep the recipe a Louisiana "secret".

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for all the good wishes from all of you.

    John D, I'll post my recipe tomorrow. It's no family secret. Tonight, I'm too tired to think straight.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kirstin, that's funny. I came out "Mashed Potatoes: Ordinary, comforting, and more than a little predictable. You're the glue that holds everyone together."

    Mimi, I am looking forward to seeing your recipe for oyster dressing.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.