Thursday, November 29, 2007

Thoughts On Advent From Ann

At the website RevGalBlogPals, a correspondent posed the question: "How do you keep Christmas from taking over Advent?"

Ann, from What The Tide Brings In, answered with these words, in which I find much to admire:

Advent is the greatest of seasons for me - immersing myself in the whole darkness theme of wrapping oneself in the blanket of night, under the quilt of stars, and meditating on the cave of my heart, seeds in the earth, babies awaiting birth from the womb and other assorted dark places.

It is my little counter cultural season - a great excuse not to think about Christmas until it is before me - gifts can be given during the 12 days - until Epiphany - Jan 6 and they are on sale then! Cards can be sent out until Easter - early this year BTW - then you just reply to the ones you have received. Cuts down on postage and one finds out who really cares. At church they will all whinge about not getting to sing carols - but don't give in except for the pageant that has to be done before the kids take their Christmas break. Everyone is sick of them anyway by a couple of weeks after Thanksgiving - so maybe they will thank you for the Advent minor key unsingable ones!

Seriously -- I might let a carol or 2 sneak in as we approach Christmas - and the children's pageant is good for an all out carol sing. I also put together a Service of Solace (sometimes called Blue Christmas) for some time in the week or so before Christmas for those who are not have a so merry time of it.

I really do like Advent and wish my favorite book Night Visions by Jan Richardson had not gone out of print so you could love it too.


As I said in the comments there:

Advent is perhaps my favorite time in the liturgical year. It's a time of expectancy, a time of waiting - a very good discipline in our "I want it now" culture, good for both children and adults.

We know that something wonderful is coming, but not yet. The assigned Scripture readings are the most beautiful of the liturgical year. I'm all for holding off with the Christmas carols until the Christmas pageant.


The thread of dark places that Ann speaks of resonates with me, too. "...meditating on the cave of my heart, seeds in the earth, babies awaiting birth from the womb and other assorted dark places." Lovely words, aren't they?

Thanks, Ann.

UPDATE: MadPriest has his Advent sermon posted. It is quite good, and you may want to have a look.

Speaking of dark places, he has this to say in his sermon:

At the moment we are living in the shadows. When the Kingdom of God becomes real for us in its entirety, then we will emerge from the shadows into the light. The light of truth, the eternal light, the light that shines in the presence of God.

And they all said, "Amen!"

7 comments:

  1. Amen is right and such lovely thoughts.

    And important ones as we watch, we wait, we pray.

    Yes MP's sermon was lovely indeed, really good and I even told him so.

    Thanks for this Mimi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are both great. I linked to Ann+ too! Great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The collect for the first Sunday in Advent is, to me, one of the most stirring and most rhythmic of Cranmer's prayers. It's on the short side, so guess it's OK to include it.

    ALMIGHTY God, give us grace that we may cast away the works of darkness, and put upon us the armour of light, now in the time of this mortal life in which thy Son Jesus Christ came to visit us in great humility; that in the last day, when he shall come again in his glorious majesty to judge both the quick and the dead, we may rise to the life immortal; through him who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Ghost, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With all this lovely talent about, I don't even have to write for my own blog.

    Lapin, that collect is beautiful, one of the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Long ago and far away I did a "Blue Christmas" service during Advent.

    Always mid-week, always sparsely attended but generally greatly appreciated. Even my enemies at my last church (when I was the pastor, I mean) thanked me for it.

    Hadn't heard of anyone else doing one, until now.

    Thx.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea of a Blue Christmas service. Christmas is such a difficult time of the year for quite a few folks, and I can see that it could bring ease to hurting hearts.

    And you can sing Elvis' song.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great thoughts, we are staging a counter cultural revolt here too!!!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.