Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The Blog Blessing

My two dear virtual blog friends, Fran at FranIAm and Doxy at Wormwood's Doxy have chosen me for the "Blog Blessing". I'm full of gratitude at this honor from these two wonderful writers, both of whom inspire envy in me when I read what they write. I bless them back and thank them for giving me pleasure.

Fran is so absolutely prolific that I can hardly keep up reading her blog. She's passionate in her views, and, like me, she writes about all sorts of subjects, perhaps whatever pops into her mind that seems interesting, notable, or funny. She has pictures, sound, videos, and she is quite adept at the technology available for bloggers.

Doxy doesn't write enough to suit me, but when she writes, she knocks my socks off. She has been unrelenting in support of our LGBT brothers and sisters and in getting out information on AIDS and HIV. Her journal entries and occasional rants (really mini-rants) are wonderful to read.

As most of you may know, I don't do memes, simply because they require way too much thinking, and I'm lazy. I was to pass the blessing on to three other bloggers, and when Fran's blessing came, I tried - I truly did try, but I could not single out three bloggers who have been a blessing to me, because there are many more than three. (The gathering in New York, where I met many of them face to face was pure pleasure.) I was totally blocked in choosing, and that's the truth. The same with Doxy's blessing. No way could I pick three. However, I return the blessings to both Fran and Doxy and thank them and so many other bloggers who have enriched my life.

What I will do is single out two bloggers who have influenced me the most. First and foremost is Rmj at Adventus. He is just past his second anniversary as a blogger, and I've read him from the birth of his blog. He taught me so much about the Christian faith, living the Christian life, and the sham that is much of what we call "values" in this country of ours. I've said this before, but, for a while there, he quoted Kierkegaard so often, that I finally had to read him for myself. He suggested another of his works to read first, but I chose to read Fear and Trembling, and I have never been quite the same since. "It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God." Christianity is not for the fainthearted. I can say, with all honesty, that he taught me how to blog. Our styles are quite different, and I don't blame my shortcomings on Rmj, but if you see good here, he gets some of the credit.

The second is MadPriest at Of Course I Could Be Wrong. Pray for me, all of you. I am under the influence of a madman. What am I thinking? Irony is nearly always lurking beneath the surface inside me, ready to burst forth. My rule of thumb is, in the words of Jane Austen, the mistress of irony, "I hope that I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can." Those words were spoken by one of her characters, but they are Jane's thoughts. In addition, I try very hard not use my irony against those weaker than I am.

MadPriest's blog gives me many laughs, which I am in great need of in these troubled times. In his comments, I practiced letting loose with irony and humor, and when I started with my own blog, I had a little experience in that sort of writing. The irony is, perhaps, practiced better here, than in real life, for in real life folks sometimes find my irony intimidating, even when it's not used against them. In other words, I am ironic to a fault. However, no one is forced to read a blog. The use of irony here at Wounded Bird has been a great release for me. I'm thankful for the outlet.

The two men who have influenced me in blogging are quite different, and you may wonder that two such different men and two such different blogs can influence the same person. I don't know the answer. Today, it appears that I will pass 55,000 in number of visitors. That is absolutely amazing to me. It's not much in comparison to the bloggers with large readerships, but I am grateful for each and every reader, and especially those who leave comments. The engagement with those who comment is as pleasurable as the writing for me.

So. Fran, Doxy, do you forgive me for not going along?

As Tiny Tim said, "God bless us, every one!"

UPDATE: I thought of something that the two bloggers have in common. They both make me think about things that cause me discomfort but are, nevertheless, things that I must think about.

8 comments:

  1. Mimi---as you may recall, I don't do memes either...at least ones that require other people to respond. That's why I took out the language telling you to pass it on.

    But my darling Grendel blessed me, and I didn't want to let him down by failing to pass on his sweet words. (He's disappointed in me already because I can't seem to find the time to get Jasper's blog up and running...sigh.)

    So thank you for your too kind words about me---and I hope to write more in 2008. It was one of my two resolutions for the New Year. The other is to get more sleep!

    Love,
    Doxy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing fine, Grandmère, and acquit yourself very well. I don't worry about you falling under the influence of Maddy--I was putting my money on you for the shootout of the Godparents.

    I believe the rubric on meme passing is a variant on that of private confession: "All may, none must, some shouldn't." LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doxy and Paul, I believe that we can remain in communion with each other regarding the memes. I see no cause for a meme schism.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you.

    I'm touched.

    Really.

    Has it been 2 years? Where does the time go?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Grandmere, Oh blogger software! I know I left a comment... at least I believed I did.

    Anyway, no need to apologize ever and you are simply a blessing! And now you have done your own blessing in your own way.

    Enjoy your time with the guests. Peace to you always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You truly are a blessing. Thank you for this post ... and all your posts. Have a wonderful visit with your guests.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fran and Rev SS, thank you for your very kind words.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.