Tuesday, January 22, 2008

One Year Ago Today....

At the 1 year anniversary of my first blog post, I reflect on a year that was in many ways a wonder to me. When I started to blog, I thought that after the first rush of virtual friends dropped by, few would come around to visit, but I wanted to write and do commentary on the events of the day and give my family and friends a break from my harangues. Even if the blog turned out to be nothing more than a diary, it would not be all loss.

The time and work required to do what seemed like simple posts is beyond what I ever imagined. The blog has taken over my life in ways that I never thought possible. I confess that on some days I look at what I have written, and I think that it's not worth the time I put in. I've said to myself, "Woman, give it up". Let me be clear. I'm not soliciting compliments or reassurance with these words. Far too many of you good folks have complimented me far beyond my desserts, and I thank you for the many kind words. But, in the end, it will be my own judgment of what I do here that will determine if I think it's worth the time and effort.

Through the blog, I have met so many wonderful people, in both virtual and real life. Our gathering in New York was fantastic. I would not have missed that for the world. I loved meeting Kirstin in New Orleans. You, my friends, have enriched my life greatly. I won't name names, because you are many, and I would surely leave someone important out.

A week or so ago, I happened to notice that my numbers on StatCounter were right at 57,969. Today they're at 59,562. In a few days, I will round off 60,000. Now I know that's nowhere near the numbers of the big league religion bloggers, but I am humbled to have that many visitors. I'm sure that a large number of visitors come from Google or some other search engine and don't find what they want at my blog and click off immediately. Perhaps a few take a look around and one or two come back. The great majority of those who visit do not leave a comment. To those of you who come to read, thank you. To those of you who leave comments, a special thank you. I love the exchange in the comments, as much, if not more, than the writing. But, of course, without the writing, there would be no exchange.

At the end of a year, I owe more to you, my readers, than I can say. It was good for me. Was it good for you?

24 comments:

  1. Indeed it was good, it was very good (ala God in Genesis1)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you are blogging and are the person you are, Grandmere. I understand what you mean about the amount of time--I sometimes am amazed at how much time I spend, and I don't write as thoughtfully or originally as you do!

    Happy (blogging)Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. G'mere -- i do wonder about the time it must take (I especially wonder about the wonderful MadPriest). I worry that I spend too much time in the blogosphere and not enough with Molly-the-Wonder-Dog -- and the rest of the breathing world. And I JUST read, comment from time to time, and ask for your prayers. I really am not clear on the balance.

    I do know that when I was married as a "child" (in my early twenties) and was not happy in my marriage, I spent more time talking to my therapist than to my husband. We divorced. That seems like a risk we run in the on-line world when we get comfortable talking with "our friends who understand us" and can avoid confronting all those odd folks who do not appreciate us. This is probably a totally goofy comment. Feel free to delete.

    But I am so very glad that YOU are blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ¡Felicidades, Abuelita! Congratulations on your one year anniversary, and your stats are much better than mine. I guess I need to post that magical Mexican flag.
    I read your blog everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww....Y'all are so nice. Grandpère gets impatient with me about the time I spend on the computer, but I could be drinking at bars and running around, so, at least, I'm here at home where he can keep an eye on me.

    Padre Mickey, I see that Panamanian flag when I check out my visitors.

    Thanks all for your visits and comments. As Jackie Gleason used to say, "How sweet it is!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grandmère, il y a beaucoup qui sont plus a l'aise sachant que t'es en train d'écrire pour ton blog. Meilleur ça que d'autre activités vicieuses, n'est-ce pas? No wonder GP can take some comfort seeing you at the keyboard.

    Congrat's, honey. I love coming here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grandmere, congratulations! I am one of your fairly frequent visitors who admires, often nods in agreement, but feels hesitant about commenting. Your loveliness shines forth as well as your wonderful sense of humor! Thank you so much for sharing it. (I empathize with the concern about the time factor.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh yes, I haven't been with you the WHOLE year, but it's been very very good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's very good for us. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Très bon anniversaire! It has been une année glorieuse, hasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Anniversary! Thank you for the gift of your time and talents. Here's to another year and another 60,000 visits!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My dear Grandmere Mimi I wish you a most happy blogoversary!!!!

    I am not exactly sure when we really connected... over the summer perhaps? I do know this, my own blogging life and my life period, has been enriched by your presence.

    Not only am I grateful to read your words, to know your virtual friendship (since last minute snags denied me the opportunity to meet you in NYC), but to also know the support of your prayers and support.

    I thank you deeply for all of this. Plus you have introduced me to a world of bloggers that has really changed my life.

    On days when I have little time, there are a few must visit blogs. Yours is at the top of that list.

    Thank you for sharing your words, your wisdom, your heart and your world with us here.

    Much love, much gratitude and wishes for more good blogging ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Blogaversary! It was very good for me. So much so that I am smoking a cigarette as I type. ;)

    (What? Someone had to say it.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on the wonderful cyberspace you've created and on your one year anniversary!

    Mazl Tov!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mimi's blog has been berry, berry good for me! ;-)

    Congrats, dear one. I know about the timesuck of the blogosphere--but just think about the richness that you, and many others, have added to our lives.

    So thank God for blogging, and for all those who put so much time and effort into spreading the Gospel this way.

    Love,
    Doxy

    ReplyDelete
  16. ...activités vicieuses....

    Paul, mais non!

    Fleur, merci. Vous êtes très aimable!

    Diane, thanks. I expect you'll keep up from now on, my friend.

    Kirstin, I love you back. How are you feeling today?

    Dennis, oui! Une glorieuse année!

    Rev SS, thank you for helping me get to those numbers.

    Fran! Thank you so much. I don't know what to say, except that you and your blog give me a run for my money.

    PJ, thanks. I should have known that you'd be the one to pick up on that. I'd have been disappointed if no one had noticed. Someone had to say it, indeed!

    Rowan, Mazel Tov to you! Are you a Jewish dog?

    Doxy, I hope that spreading the Gospel is part of what I do here.

    Thank you all for the lovely words.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday! We're all the better for your blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good? It's better than that, I look forward to the next year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. DP, thanks, as we're all the better for your blogging. Think of it! You're the first doorman I've ever had a meaningful conversation with.

    TheMe, better than good? I look forward to our coming encounters, too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm glad I learned long ago to not compare myself to others. Your blog would make me feel terrible, Mimi. It was a privilege to have dinner with you in New York. It was a privilege to share a silly moment with PBKJS. Congrats on sticking with us for a year of blogging. Please keep it up as we all need your voice in this currently insane country many of us call home.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Piskie, thanks. I loved meeting you.

    I finally left a comment at Fr Jake's about THE BIG QUESTION that you and I asked Bp. Katharine.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely work you've done, Mimi.
    Thanks be to G-d.

    ReplyDelete
  23. John D, thank you. I saw at OCICBW that your daughter needs prayer. I will pray.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Anniversary, Mimi! I love your blog. Where else could we learn about Rajun Cajuns?

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.