Friday, January 25, 2008

Riding On The Road To Damascus?


An illumination depicting the Conversion of Saint Paul from "Livre d'Heures d'Étienne Chevalier" (c. 1450–1460) by Jean Fouquet.

In the church calendar, we celebrate the conversion of Saul of Tarsus from a persecutor of Christians to a follower of Jesus. He then became known as Paul.

Acts 22:6-11
Paul Tells of His Conversion

‘While I was on my way and approaching Damascus, about noon a great light from heaven suddenly shone about me. I fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to me, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?” I answered, “Who are you, Lord?” Then he said to me, “I am Jesus of Nazareth* whom you are persecuting.” Now those who were with me saw the light but did not hear the voice of the one who was speaking to me. I asked, “What am I to do, Lord?” The Lord said to me, “Get up and go to Damascus; there you will be told everything that has been assigned to you to do.” Since I could not see because of the brightness of that light, those who were with me took my hand and led me to Damascus.

In most depictions of the event, Paul is shown on a horse, but in his own account in "Acts", there is no mention of a horse. My question: Was Paul riding a horse?

Won't some biblical scholar help me out here? Would a person in Saul's position in Roman-occupied territory have been traveling on a horse? I want to know.

Readings:

Psalm 67
Acts 26:9-21
Galatians 1:11-24
Matthew 10:16-22

PRAYER
O God, who by the preaching of your apostle Paul have caused the light of the Gospel to shine throughout the world: Grant, we pray, that we, having his wonderful conversion in remembrance, may show ourselves thankful to you by following his holy teaching; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever.

Image from Wiki.

2 comments:

  1. It is interesting that many artists portray this event with horses yet there are no horses mentioned in the Bible. Guess this is where we get the expression - "knocked off his high horse" even tho there is no horse! Caravaggio paints it this way and here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My biblical theology prof in seminary noted that Paul had his entire perspective turned around but did not receive a personality transplant. This has always helped me deal with the curmudgeon he always was, a difficult character with flashes of grace-filled brilliance.

    Happy saint's day to me!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.