Thursday, February 21, 2008

A Funny Thing Happened

A couple of days ago, a local men's store called to say that they had been cleaning out their dark corners and that they had found a pair of men's slacks with Grandpère's name on them and did we want them. I said that I would ask GP when he came home. When I asked, he had no recollection of buying pants or anything else at that store recently. We were both mystified.

Today, as I was running errands, I went to the store to have a look at the pants. I found a nice pair of dark olive twill pants. I asked if anything was owed on the pants, and the clerk said no. She said that they had been left to be hemmed and never picked up. There was no date on the slip of paper pinned to the pants with GP's name on it.

I took them home, and they were not familiar to GP. We examined the tags on the slacks and found one that had 2000 on it. We're not sure, but that could be a date. Could the pants have been there for 8 years? That was back before either of us was slipping into senility. I guess we'll never know.

12 comments:

  1. Pants have a surprising longevity, Grandmere. I know, as I have a pair of twill "working trousers" that I still wear for garden work, (and even the occasional rural fair!) and they belonged to my father. The most important question about your discovery is: Do they fit? If the answer is yes, then the aforementioned trousers have found their natural home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Well, he doesn't have that uncommon a name.

    RR asks the right question. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They fit! GP has a very nice, if unexpected, new pair of pants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See, God does exist!

    DP, exactly my thought!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny. . . .I'm glad to be back in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always loosing my clothes. I should check around the tailors and dry cleaners... Thanks Mimi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is called age. I spent over 30 minutes yesterday searching the house high and low for 2 pairs of jeans, washed 3 days before. Could not remember bringing them in from line (we use sunshine down here in Australia)and had horrible thoughts about thieves. Then remembered it looked like rain on Tuesday and they were hanging in the bathroom (I have an ensuite so do not regularly visit bathroom). Duh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. (I have an ensuite so do not regularly visit bathroom).

    ??????

    Anyway, Brian, you're right about the age business. 8 years? It could be.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.