Saturday, February 16, 2008

Going Nowhere This Lent

It's been quite a long time since I have written anything on spirituality. I've posted of my outrage at the state of our country and my disgust with the actions of the leadership. I've posted jokes and trivia. But now it's Lent, and Lent is one of my favorites of the church seasons, along with the Advent. It seems that the preparation periods draw me more so than other seasons, with their sense of expectancy, the sense of something coming.

So far this Lenten season seems to be somewhat of a failure. Perhaps, it's because I was traveling on Ash Wednesday and missed the initiatory ritual of the season, the ashes, but I cannot seem to get started and, therefore, I'm not getting anywhere.

Before Lent, when I tried to decide what my Lenten discipline would be this year, nothing seemed quite right until I was able to half-articulate on another blog that my desire for this season of Lent and beyond was to increase in quantity and quality those times when I seemed to be at my best in following the way laid out by Jesus in the Gospels - as seldom and as weak and unproductive as my efforts during those times seemed to be. The method I'm trying is to stay centered in Jesus, the Word of God, and his words in the Gospels, Jesus who loves me and is ever-present with me. Even as I must focus on other matters, I'd like to take brief, but frequent, breaks to draw inwardly to a consciousness of that presence, until the sense of the God's presence becomes something of a habit, with the hope that, in the end, I will be changed for the better, that I will be enabled to put into practice the teachings of Our Lord with more success and for a greater portion of my time. I don't know how this will go, or even if the method makes any sense at all, but I will try and see what happens.

Now I had written the above, painfully and slowly, with many revisions, still not getting to where I wanted to go in articulating my goal and describing the centering process, which is, in a way, a physical experience.

So. While taking a break from my struggles, I visited Of Course, I Could Be Wrong to find that MadPriest had posted a sermon which explains it all for me. Did that ever take the wind out of my sails, pop my balloon, take the stuffing out of me - I think of any number of metaphors which signify a taking-down!
I want you to think back to a time in your life when you felt an incredible amount of love for somebody, or something, maybe a pet, or, maybe even, a religious experience that was centred around a feeling of great love.

Now don’t think about it using words. Just try to experience the feeling you had, once again. If you’re like me you’ll probably feel it in the pit of your stomach. I wonder why that is.

Right, now I want you to imagine that you have to tell somebody about the way you just felt. Try to come up, in your own minds, with the words you will need to describe fully the feeling you felt inside of you.

Now, I am completely certain that, even if you are as good a poet as Elizabeth Barrett Browning you will fail miserably in conveying what you felt inside. You will only scratch the surface and end up saying to the other person, “Well, you know what I mean, you know what it’s like.”

The thing is, it is difficult enough to describe a physical object to somebody else. When it comes to describing emotional stuff we are, always, at a loss for words.
Well, dammit, that's it! And don't you know that he starts the sermon with Elizabeth Browning's "How Do I Love Thee?" All my struggles and there it is laid out for me after the fact. I tell you, I'm feeling a little frustrated. All that effort, and had I waited a day or so, I would have had it without the struggle.

The physical sense of God's presence is centered in the pit of my stomach. It's as if Father, Jesus, and Spirit fit in that little place inside me, filling that space with love and giving me peace. It's as though the whole Gospel is there inside, and all I need do is reach in and take and share with everyone I meet the love and the Good News that is right there inside me.

Now whether this centering process will have the desired effect is a whole other question, to which I don't have an answer yet. It has seemed to work to good effect recently, because in the centering, I feel a peace which seems to extend to my relations with the people and events in my life in a beneficial manner.

My other discipline is to attend the Thursday Evening Prayer service at my church, which is followed by soup and sandwiches and then a DVD presentation by Bishop N. T. Wright on his series Simply Christian, followed by a discussion.

Last night, the subject of the talk was evil. Bishop Wright and a professor from Duke University shared a conversation on the the problem of evil in the world which Christ has redeemed and in which he has established his kingdom. I preferred Bishop Wright's comments to those of the professor from Duke. Last year, we watched DVDs from the Alpha series during Lent. I'm afraid I didn't care for them at all. I like Bishop Wright's presentations much better than Nicky Gumble's.

After watching the DVD, we had a lively discussion - very lively, at the end - especially between one of our young parishioners and - surprise! - moi. He is a candidate for the priesthood, and I am quite fond of him. I hope we didn't frighten the others with the intensity of our discussion, (OK, argument) but I'm sure we are fine with each other. He reads my blog, so I have to say nice things about him. In all seriousness, I am delighted that he was accepted as a candidate for the priesthood, and I believe he will make a wonderful priest.

Thanks be to God.

20 comments:

  1. Grandma (that's what we say in the Midwest!) Mimi -

    Thanks for sharing this! Blessings on your own Lenten journey. I have found mine going in fits and starts as well.

    RFSJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. RFSJ, "Grandma" is just fine. Thank you for reading the long post. I was concerned that no one would.

    Blessings to you during the Lenten season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mimi, is that 'God shaped space' ( I know that's not what you said, but it felt like that) sorta like the pie shaped place we always claimed after a meal was just enough room for the dessert? :o)

    May we always have the Trinity in the pit of our stomachs, right there in the center of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, I thought about the shape of the space, round maybe, but no. The space doesn't have a shape, and it's not really any longer a space, because it's filled with a presence.

    May the Presence of the Trinity be with you in this season of Lent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry Mimi, I was only trying to be clever. I really didn't expect it to have a shape....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, my friend! There is nothing for you to be sorry about.

    Actually, the words in my comment were nothing more than a bit of nonsense. When we try to express the ineffable, we find that it's not possible. Actually, I have my doubts about the entire post, but it's posted, and I will leave it up - for better or for worse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds like a lot of food for thought.

    I've felt similarly and I got to do three Ash Wednesday sermons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Grandmere. What a stirring post. Was it long? If it was, I did not experience it as such.

    I am reminded of St Paul and something I used at my church blog today- about how God uses everything for good. St Paul was speaking about sin, but I think of everything.

    God has used your miasma to lead you so lovingly and so seductively (and i use that word quite purposefully) to bring you to a place that you needed to be.

    And then that He used OCBIW is a whole other level of how God uses everything for good.

    And I can imagine you and the young man with your discussion! I love that image!!!

    And I adore you Grandmere.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diane, a kindred spirit!

    Fran, love, thank you. You're way too kind. I'm just glad this makes some sort of sense. Sometimes I can't tell, when I reread my own writing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grandmere, he's going to be insufferable after this. But yes it is often surprising that the most unexpected sources are often the challenges that suddenly make sense of something for us. Be it god or no.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have noticed that as I get older, Lent gets harder. I can no longer get away with giving up cake or chocolate. What is that saying about my relationship with God? You've got it right, of course, a Lenten discipline doesn't have to be about giving up. But even when it comes to taking on.... well, that's still aproblem. Pray more? Too, too pious. Love my neighbour more? Too abstract; what are my success criteria? Nevertheless I am going to try to be less exasperated with my students and try, try, try, to be more tolerant of their foibles.

    You may be starting late, but you are off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Grandmere, he's going to be insufferable after this.

    TheMe, he won't. He doesn't read my blog. You could have knocked me over with a feather, when I read the sermon.

    DP, I want to be a better disciple, but that's God's work. I can't be better than God makes me, but I can cooperate if she is doing a work in me, by listening and trying to be aware of leadings and promptings in the proper direction.

    And just now, I blew it badly, because while Grandpère was using the computer, he inadvertently disabled the keyboard, and I didn't know how to turn it back on. I got angry with him beyond what the situation called for. I have a loooong way to go. If I'm going in the right direction, I can't tell yet.

    I still wish GP would stay off my computer, because he tends to mess it up quite a lot. I finally got the keyboard working again by angrily banging on random keys.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And Now GP, who wrecked my old car, just went off with my new car to drive it in circles to try to get the damned compass working. Should I worry?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Update: the driving in circles worked to orient the compass. I now know in which direction I am driving.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well -- as my Lenten disciple I am trying not to whine. Whining for me is defined as cleverly pointing out (sometimes with humor as to make it more palatable) how I have either been wronged or been amazingly noble in the face of (self-defined) adversity. It really sucks to realze how hard this is for me.

    This seems likely to free up a God shaped space.

    Should never have read the James Epistle.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL, Susan.

    Should never have read the James Epistle.

    No. That's absolutely not whining.

    Lent is hard. Christian living is hard. Is that whining?

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Now whether this centering process will have the desired effect is a whole other question, to which I don't have an answer yet"

    As you've alluded to in other comments, "I will, with God's help." Thankfully, we are not left alone.

    Some Lents, I'm called to make some specific "giving up", and other times, I am not (Of course, in Evangelical Land, Lent is not observed, so it's still quite new to me, having entered the realm of the Methodists 6 years ago, and TEC, three years ago.).

    This year, I am not. This year, many of the immediate family are facing challenges. My mother, at 79, is dealing with the loss of physical strength, resulting in a feeling that she can do little to be of help for others in the family (Her mind is just fine!). You know about my older sister's challenge. One of my brothers is unemployed. My younger sister's husband has a heart weakened by a viral infection of the pericardium, and his heart currently is working at 40% efficiency, and has gone from physical robustness and strength, to being easily fatigued by simple chores. My sister was "let go" by the evangelical school where she taught for many years, and has now returned to school in order to broaden prospects for employment in the face of my brother-in-law's health.

    Thankfully, my partner's health is better than it has been for 3 years. So, rather than giving something up this year, I'm determined to be of assistance to family in need and see if I can grow in the ability to truly live one day at a time. Meanwhile, I soak up the Lenten liturgy, which is very solemnly observed at our cathedral parish.

    Tomorrow, I'm off from work, and the plan is to plant a cherry tree in my older sister's patio garden and then look forward to its blossoms that will come in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  18. KJ, love, I'm so sorry to hear of the other health challenges facing members of your family. Of course, I knew about your sister, but not about all the others. Your Lenten discipline to help family members a lovely idea, and I adore your plan to plant the cherry tree for your sister.

    I will keep you and your family in my prayers. It's in the challenging times that I'm so grateful for my faith. It's what gets me through.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your words bring me back to how I used to feel when going before the Commission on Ministry and try to articulate why I felt called to be a priest. All I could say was that to do so would be reaching deep down inside of myself, pulling myself inside out and even with that, not being able to put that feeling into words. Thanks for the reflection.

    BTW, as I write this, a huge bright ray of sun, out from under a black cloud, has hit me. Gee.... God is there, no?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Caminante, God is here, there, and inside. This post was tough to write, and I wasn't compelled to do it. I can't even imagine standing before a committee and trying to express something like this. I like your analogy of being pulled inside out. It's wrenching, all right.

    Thank God for the ray of light.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.