Saturday, February 23, 2008

Me And My Congressman

Several days ago, I attempted to participate in a live phone forum with my representative in Congress, Charlie Melancon. He has voted the right way at times, especially on the bill to privatize Social Security, and I thank him for that. I know Charlie, and I like him, but he voted in favor of a bill to permit "enhanced interrogation techniques", a euphemism for torture, so far as I am concerned. I understand that he will sometimes cast votes with which I disagree, because the majority of his constituency, unlike me, is conservative, but that vote, I just didn't get. Folks around here were just not paying much attention at the time, and I believe he could have voted the other way without facing serious consequences. As I see it, torture is a moral question, and I can't see how it would be right to vote to allow it:

On August 4, 2007, Melancon created much controversy when he and Louisiana Senator Mary Landrieu broke ranks with Democrats and sided with Republicans and the Bush Administration in voting for the Protect America Act, an amendment to the USA Patriot Act further expanding wiretap powers, authorizing torture and suspension of rights of American citizens that many feel is unconstitutional.

In the phone forum, I wanted to ask Charlie about how he would vote on the FISA bill, which gives the Telecoms immunity for illegally spying on us. If I break the law and get caught, I must pay the price. Why should the Telecoms, who spied on you and me, get immunity for breaking the law?

I waited for my turn to ask a question, but it took too long. I got tired of waiting and hung up. While I was waiting, I listened to Charlie's explanation of how the refund checks that will be in the mail come May will help jump-start the economy. Now, I'm sure that in these hard times of a failing economy, gas prices rising, the housing market going bad, etc., etc., etc., the checks will be welcome to many, but to think that these checks will jump-start the economy is ludicrous.

Well, I don't have to wait any longer for my answer on how he will vote on the FISA bill and immunity for the Telecoms. From the February 23, 2008 issue of the Times-Picayune:

In a letter to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., Rep. Charlie Melancon, D-Napoleonville, and 20 other members of the Congressional Blue Dogs, conservative to moderate House Democrats, said the House needs to pass the Senate bill for immunity quickly.

I'm tired of being represented by a member of the Blue Dog Democrats, who, these days, too often seem to be Republicans in disguise. I'm ready to be represented by a real Democrat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.