Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Man Who Orders Three Beers


the three beers
Originally uploaded by Sam Judson
An Irishman moved into a tiny hamlet in County Kerry, walked into the pub and ordered three beers. The bartender raised his eyebrows a wee bit, but (with reservation) served the man the three beers, which he took to a nearby table and quietly drank them all by himself.

The next evening the man came to the pub and again ordered three beers and carried them to table by himself and proceeded to drink the three beers all by himself. For weeks, this man came into the pub regularly and when he did, he ordered 3 beers and took them to a table and drank the 3 beers all by himself.

Soon the entire little hamlet of County Kerry was whispering about the "man who orders three beers."

Finally, after many weeks, the bartender broached the subject on behalf of the village.

"I don't mean to be prying but folks around here are wonderin why your always order three beers and drink them alone?"

"Tis a wee bit odd I would be supposin" the man replied. "You see, I have two brothers, and one went to America and the other went to Australia. We promised each other that we would always order two extra beers, whenever we would partake, as a way of keeping up the family bond."

The bartender and the entire hamlet of County Kerry were pleased with his answer and with the reverence for family and soon the "man who orders three beers" became somewhat of a local celebrity and source of pride to the hamlet.

Then one evening the man came in and ordered only two beers. The bartender served them with a heavy heart. The Irishman took them to the table and drank the 2 beers all by himself. On the next visits to the pub, the "man who orders three beers," would only order two beers. And drink them all by himself. Word spread around the hamlet quickly. Prayers were offered for the soul of one of the brothers. The next day, the bartender said to the man, "Folks around here, me first of all, want to offer our condolences to you for the death of your brother, you know - only two beers."

The man pondered for a moment then replied, " You'll be happy to hear that my two brothers are alive and well. It's just that I, meself, have decided to give up beer for Lent."


Flat-out stolen from Caminante without her permission. I did ask, but this was so good that I did not wait for an answer. And Lent is moving right along.

16 comments:

  1. Ah, sure. And you know I have 8 brothers and sisters? All of them left for Parts Unknown. I must keep solidarity...Hic...hic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that one, Mimi.
    I was feeling pretty bad that my self-chosen Lenten "discipline" hasn't gone worth a damn this year, and this is a cheerful pull back to my Irish-American reality.

    I think I'll be ready for Easter, anyway, with G-d's help.

    If any of you out there need another prayer request, the thirty-five teenagers I've been preparing for Confirmation since August are trying to live a holy Lent, waiting for Bishop Alexander's hands on 1 Easter.Please pray for us.Today I'm preaching Christus Victor vs. Penal Substitution. Bet you know which will win out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aghaveagh, eight! That's difficult. My sympathy.

    John D, if it's a comfort to you, my Lenten discipline is not going all that well, either.

    I will pray for your thirty-five teen-agers, that they do better at living a holy Lent than you and me.

    I know Christus Victor will win out over Penal Substitution. I'd like to hear your sermon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes. Irish jokes were all the rage when I was younger. Then my Swedish girlfriend pointed out that they ere,in fact, Norwegian jokes. It took all the fun out of it.

    Couldn't get away with it today though. Some of them were simply racist and I see no humour in that.

    Some things change for the better.

    Yours is a gem befitting a lady, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. DP, Caminante said it was clean. A joke that is clean and funny is always a good find.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it. My 9 year old granddaughter gave up chocolate this year and is really struggling. Perhaps she could have a wee bit for her brother and sister. I won't be the one to suggest it though, I stay in trouble with her parents as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jim, you're from Louisiana! I am, too. Did you know that?

    I'm glad you enjoyed the joke. Yes, we tend to spoil the grandchildren, don't we. I can remember how hard it was to give up chocolate or bubble gum or whatever the choice of deprivation. I didn't always make it through Lent back then, either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got two brothers and one sister. I hope they stay close by, otherwise I'll be drinking lots of Manischewitz. Ew.

    By the way, my sister, who is very active in the New York State Democratic Party, has invented her own drink. Seltzer (club soda) with a dash of Kosher wine. She calls it an Eliot Spritzer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. PJ, Manischewitz! What would Dennis say?

    If your sister was here, I'd have to ask her to leave the stage, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. PJ, darlin'; it's time to take a tiny step in the goyische direction; it's not Communion wine, ya know?

    I got a few recommendations on my latest, if ya wanna.

    ReplyDelete
  11. PJ, and now we know what Johnieb would say. I keep forgetting that Dennis is not the only one who knows a bit about wine. There's Johnieb, and there's Jane, and if I left anyone out, please let me know.

    Me? I know nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd better add that Paul knows wines, too, so his feelings won't get hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha! Matter of Fact, I gave up beer for Lent.

    But, you know, my Dad liked beer, too... hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  14. David, if you're looking for a way out....

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't really drink Manischewitz, y'all! Sheesh.

    Honestly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. PJ, it's too late for denials, love.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.