Monday, February 25, 2008

Water vs. Wine

A Monday morning wake-up call:

To my friends who enjoy a glass of wine and those who don't.

As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

In a number of carefully controlled trials, scientists have demonstrated that if we drink 1 liter of water each day , at the end of the year we would have absorbed more than 1 kilo of Escherichia coli, (E. coli) - bacteria found in feces In other words, we are consuming 1 kilo of poop.

However, we do NOT run that risk when drinking wine & beer (or tequila, rum, whiskey or other liquor) because alcohol has to go through a purification process of boiling, filtering and/or fermenting.

Remember: Water = Poop, Wine = Health

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of sh*t.

There is no need to thank me for this valuable information: I'm doing it as a public service.

A wise friend says: Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather a skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO!!!!!" What a ride!!!!


From my daughter in an email. I have no idea if the scientific information is true.

11 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, my chemo diet forbids alcohol, and I am forced to forego my daily glass of red wine. Instead, I am to drink lots of water--at least it's bottled. But is it really a good thing to shun bacteria?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew I had to come over here this morning! My only blog to read on (short) vacation!

    thanks for the info!

    Now, I'll have that glass of wine, please (a little later in the day, tho)

    ReplyDelete
  3. But is it really a good thing to shun bacteria?

    Ormonde, of course not. Shun only the bad bugs. As I said, I don't vouch for the science.

    Diane, just looking forward to the wine later in the day is an early morning pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I don't know about the science either but I have a good feeling about it and I'm not about to take any chances.

    What I want to know is how can we get water banned at Lambeth because I think some of those bishops must have been drinking quite a lot of it already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lindy has a good point. And perhaps an abundance of the fruit of the grape might make the gathering much friendlier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's nice to give pleasure with so little effort. A quick copy and paste and - voila!

    Do the fundamentalist Anglican bishops drink wine (aside from communion wine)? They should. Perhaps, they'd mellow a little. A water ban at Lambeth might be just the thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am advised by someone closely involved in planning for the upcoming Lambeth Conference that at the 1998 Conference, the pubs and the wine shops on the University of Kent campus were well patronised.

    So we can hope.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wise though Franklin was, I doubt that he used a word ("bacteria") that entered the English Language 60 years after his death.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now this is a great post. And there will be wine on Friday I can assure you!!

    Grandmere - did you see my reference to you in my comment on this post?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lapin, so it's more than the science that could be wrong here. OCYCBR.

    Fran did I see it? Now you know. I don't understand how the host of the blog let your brilliant comment slip by without highlighting it.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.