Friday, April 4, 2008

Feast Day Of Martin Luther King


From The Reverend King's "I've Been to the Mountaintop" speech on April 3, 1968:
It's all right to talk about "long white robes over yonder," in all of its symbolism. But ultimately people want some suits and dresses and shoes to wear down here. It's all right to talk about "streets flowing with milk and honey," but God has commanded us to be concerned about the slums down here, and his children who can't eat three square meals a day. It's all right to talk about the new Jerusalem, but one day, God's preachers must talk about the New York, the new Atlanta, the new Philadelphia, the new Los Angeles, the new Memphis, Tennessee. This is what we have to do.
....

Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land. And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.

King was assassinated the following day. The speech in its entirety is here.

PRAYER:
Almighty God, by the hand of Moses your servant you led your people out of slavery, and made them free at last: Grant that your Church, following the example of your prophet Martin Luther King, may resist oppression in the name of your love, and may secure for all your children the blessed liberty of the Gospel of Jesus Christ; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

Readings:

Psalm 77:11-20 or 98:1-4
Exodus 3:7-12
Luke 6:27-36

9 comments:

  1. Very nice. Thank you for this excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always found this speech more inspiring than the more famous one from Washington because it's about getting out there in the streets and making the dream happen. This is the MLK that people found so challenging.

    (Two hymns for this feast day may be found at my little blog.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oyster, thanks.

    C.W.S., I like this one, too. Get busy building the kingdom of God now.

    I enjoyed your two hymns. I'm not very clever with posting music links.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful Mimi, I just linked to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grandmère, I was privileged to read Morning Prayer in our parish on Dr. King's feast day. It was a very blessed way to begin the day, to be reminded of his God given greatness.

    Many of his writings and speeches have always held special meaning for me, especially including his last address to the sanitation workers in Memphis when he seemed to know that his hours on this earth were coming to a close, as well as his letter from the Birmingham Jail.

    That letter was addressed to the clergy of my state including a bishop of my church. It was not our most shining hour as a church.
    It was Dr. King who helped me understand in the most real and personal way that any person's struggle is every person's struggle.

    Thanks to you also, Grandmère, for the C.W.S. link. What a beautiful site. I now have it bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, as I read the words again this morning, I got chills. The cadences and repetition in the first paragraph are thrilling. "It's all right....It's all right....It's all right...."

    And in the second quote, he seems to have a vision of what's coming the next day.

    Thanks for the kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can never make it through that speech without sobbing. Not even when I'm just reading it.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.