Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Congratulations To Del And Phyllis!


From the New York Times:

In San Francisco, Del Martin, 87, and Phyllis Lyon, 84, longtime gay rights activists, were the first and only couple to be wed here, saying their vows in the office of Mayor Gavin Newsom, before emerging to a throng of reporters and screaming well-wishers.

Ms. Martin and Ms. Lyon, who have been together for more than 50 years, seemed touched, if a little amazed by all the attention.

“When we first got together we weren’t thinking about getting married,” Ms. Lyon said before cutting a wedding cake. “I think it’s a wonderful day.”


Oh, my! Isn't this lovely? It is a wonderful day.

Picture from the San Francisco Chronicle.

UPDATE: Elizabeth Kaeton at Telling Secrets has a wonderful post on Del and Phyllis.

14 comments:

  1. Lovely picture! Congratulations to Del and Phyllis, indeed, Mimi!

    That's the back of Mayor Newsom's head! He has a lovely neck....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I had not noticed, but now you mention it, his neck is lovely. Nice hair, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful women. I put up some photos of them yesterday.

    Mimi, you just got hat-tipped over at the Episcopal Cafe! Go have a look at The Lead there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mayor Newsome is a fine friend. I don't know how anyone can think their straight marriage is affected by Del and PHyllis. Wonderful

    It

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know, IT, old ladies can be quite threatening. Take me, for instance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was reading about this yesterday. I'm very happy for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! I hope someday that my daughter and her partner can legally marry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mimi, Oh, my you are a very threatening woman. Irresistibly so. I remember how I just had to kiss you in the French restaurant, right in front of God and everybody. So, if anything happens to either one of our spouses, at least we know we can be married.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Elizabeth, how flattering. A May-December affair - er - marriage.

    It was an Italian restaurant, love. Now we can go into our Maurice Chevalier/Hermione Ginghold "I Remember It Well" routine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. French, Mimi. You two may have been busy with your attention elsewhere, but I was seated at your right elbow and I remember it well.

    No one ever thinks about getting married at first, do they?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, Johnieb, we can still do the routine, can't we? So there. I seem to remember having a pasta dish. Of course, I could be wrong. Like Maurice and Hermione, I am old.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.