Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Here He Is - Part 2

It's "Here He Is, Part 2, but - Alas! - I have no more pictures of Paul, nor of the girls, Maggie and Belle. As I said, I get caught up in the moment. He did better by me than I did by him with pictures. The post should rather be titled, St. Louis Cathedral and Jackson Square.

After we left the Palace Café on Sunday before last, the French Quarter beckoned. We headed in the direction of St. Louis Cathedral, not walking on Bourbon Street. One could imagine oneself in a European city or in the old part of town on an island in the Caribbean.

According to Wiki:

Saint Louis Cathedral (French: Cathédrale Saint-Louis), also known as the Basilica of St. Louis, King of France, has the distiction of being the oldest continuously operating cathedral in the United States, first established in 1718, is the cathedral Basilica in the French Quarter of New Orleans, Louisiana, USA. It is located on the Place John Paul II (French: Place Jean-Paul II), a promenaded section of Chartres Street (rue de Chartres) that stretches one block between St. Peter Street (rue Saint-Pierre) on the upriver boundary and St. Ann Street (rue Sainte-Anne) on the downriver boundary.

I did not know that the street name had been changed to Place John-Paul II. Below are my pictures of the interior and exterior of the building.


MAIN ALTAR


MARY'S ALTAR

Paul and I crossed the street to Jackson Square and walked the circle. The girls loved it, but I did not think to take their picture. Paul has more pictures and better pictures at his blog, Byzigenous Buddhapalian.

 
It's a beautiful building. The much-favored angle from which to take a picture of the exterior is this view that includes the equestrian statue of Andy Jackson. Below is my favorite picture of the humans in this adventure, Pablito and me. It's stolen from Paul, who took it himself. We're really clattering our way downtown, but pretend it's our journey home. What a lovely day.

10 comments:

  1. You are just doing this to make me jealous!!

    Kidding!!

    Although I am. You two are gorgeous, I love New Orleans and I want to hang out with you and Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Mimi is too modest. I did not share my photos of the cathedral interior but hers came out much better!

    Would love to have to touring about down here, Fran.

    Thanks, Mimi, for these added shots and the information about the Cathedral. I did notice the Rue Ste. Anne as I crossed it this past Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Jackson Square. My family spent a day in New Orleans when I was 17. We didn't go in the church though because it never occurred to us. I wish we had. Thanks for sharing photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the ghostly light in Bush's BS appearance in the Square in front of the cathedral to promise help that never came. There he was, in the strange blue light, telling lies. Once the photo-op was done, they packed up the equipment and left. No one in the area had electricity.

    Here it is. I'll never forget it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pictures, and you had such a lovely time! I am totally jealous!

    But hey, I live in the Diocese of California, Bishop Marc is my bishop, and y'all should come out to the Bay Area sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, Bishop Marc is a godly man, a true brick. We visited San Francisco once, and I loved it. It's a great town. I do want to go back one day. The food was outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always love seeing St Louis Cathedral. I'm glad to see the streetcars are running again, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bubs, I love the cathedral, too. The streetcar ride is fun, if noisier than I remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pictures! I've never ever been to New Orleans, even though I live a state away. Maybe someday. . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jan, folks from Texas come all the time. You should try it.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.