Sunday, June 22, 2008

Movietime!



I'm hibernating with movies. I just finished watching "DreamGirls". I know I'm late to that party, but I'm glad I didn't miss it altogether. Wow! Jennifer Hudson was spectacular in both her singing and acting! Beyoncé was very good as was Eddie Murphy's over-the-top performance. Oh, and I liked the music too. How would I characterize the music? Broadway soul? Broadway Motown? I probably have that wrong.

The movie gives a glimpse of the dark side of the music business, the pay-offs to the DJs to play the records, betrayals, etc. We see how men tend to do women wrong, but the women are strong, and they don't stay down. They come back stronger than ever. Am I right about that? Yes!

But I gotta tell you the truth. In the second half, the movie was a little slow in spots, and I took to filing my fingernails, but all in all, it's definitely worth watching.

Earlier in the week, I watched "Becoming Jane", supposedly based on the life of Jane Austen. I'd say, "Don't bother," for that one. I don't have in depth knowledge about a whole hell of things in this world, but Jane Austen, her writing and her life, I know. The movie takes great liberties with her biography - silly liberties. They don't even make the story better.

Grandpère is out of town, so I can do what I want. Yay! I'm heading over to rent a couple more movies. I'm in the mood for movies!

And that's all I got, peeps. I'm laaazy today. I don't even have a thought for the day. It's my day off from thinking.

Oh. I did go to church. Just so you know.

16 comments:

  1. Mimi you make me laugh.

    I never doubted that you went to church, although if you had not, no big deal, right?!

    Glad you enjoyed the movie and your bachelor girl time sans GP!

    I am just back and catching up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a a little known English movie called 'Miss Austen Regrets' which is also an attempt at JA biography - far more successful, in my view. I agree with you about 'Becoming Jane' - charming flick, only tenuously connected to an actual historical character called JA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim, thanks I'll look that other JA movie up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're have a "me" day, as one of my friends calls it. We're having a lazy day too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer...

    Aside from eating a couple of meals I have accomplished nothing today, not thought any great thoughts. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "nor thought any".... sorry, lazy fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How many days do you have the place to yourself, Mimi. I'm sure we could think up a lot of good movies for you.

    My first recommendation would be Beautiful Thing, a small and beautiful 1996 British film with some hugely talented young actors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mike, he's back home, but he might let me squeeze in a movie or two, with him here. I'll add your recommendation to my to-see movie list. I go to Blockbuster with my list.

    Tonight I rented "Good Night and Good Luck" (Edward R. Murrow) and "Pollock".

    I bought the following at 4 for $20:

    "A Mighty Heart" (Mariane Pearl's story)
    "Amazing Grace" (William Wilberforce, played by hunky Ioan Gruffudd)
    "La Vie en Rose" (Edith Piaf)
    "Notes On a Scandal" with Judi Dench

    Why not? They were all on my list, and they cost $4 apiece to rent. I can watch them at my leisure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 'Amazing Grace' is brilliant (although its portrayal of John Newton is as tenuously connected to historical reality as 'Miss Austen Regrets' is the real JA!:)).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed "Amazing Grace" although it is my least favourite hymn and I only went after I was advised they did not play it very much in the movie, I think only at the end credits.
    "La Vie en Rose" (Edith Piaf) Loved this
    "Notes On a Scandal" with Judi Dench Also this but then I love anything with Judi Dench. Have you seen "Ladies in Lavender"? Also enjoyed "Good Night and Good Luck" But then I also enjoyed "Becoming Jane" not as a biography but as a work of fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mimi -- I watch "my" kind of movies on my computer with my IPOD ear buds so that I don't have to negotiate movie types with my husband. One area where compromise seems to leave us both less than happy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We watched Kinky Boots last night - on BBC channel - Brit movies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've added "Miss Austen Regrets" and "Beautiful Thing" to my list. I am hardly ever satisfied with movies about Jane Austen or those taken from her books. I know too much. I have my own picture in my imagination of her and her characters, and anything else disappoints.

    SusanKay, we have another TV. I was joking about GP letting me watch. However, on occasion, I do enjoy hibernating and being alone.

    Ann, I clicked the link. That one sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Someone recommended Ladies in Lavender. I second the recommendation. Please don't forget to add it to your list ... especially if you enjoy the violin playing of Joshua Bell.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I forgot to say that I've seen "Ladies in Lavender", and I loved it. After all, my two favorites played in it: Dame Judi and Dame Maggie.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.