Saturday, July 5, 2008

Au Revoir, Zoe


On July 4, I received this email from Roger/Lapinbizarre along with a picture of Zoe.
The current problem, however, is my old chow Zoe, the last of the dogs I have raised from a puppy. Her very uncertain legs gave out on her two nights ago and there is no sensible option to "putting her down". She barked almost non stop for 18 hours from yesterday morning - annoyance and some fear, I suppose, at not being able to get up. She's also nearasdammitt blind. But she's quieter today. Thanksgiving (sic) gives her a 24 hours respite, but I will have to take care of things sooner rather than later. Her brother lost the use of his back legs three or four years ago. We let him hang on for a couple of months in hopes that he would regain it (he was younger and had had surgery for a problem which might, with determination on his part, have been turned around) but he did not. A half-paralyzed dog, with the best will in the world, turns into an unhappy, messy creature - rashes, bedsores, etc. No point in putting the poor girl through that.

The picture is Zoe in better days. I responded that Zoe looked like a lioness.

Roger answered:
She was indeed a lioness - and she has kept he looks; her hair is as full today as it ever was - far fuller than in the photograph - and not a gray hair on her at 13 1/2 ( very good age for a chow). She was the only living thing who, when I pitched a fit about anything, would come to me and sit by me while everything else, two and four-legged, took to the hills. I called her my "still, small voice of calm".

And then today:
She was in a weary, agitated state over night so I took her to the vet's first thing this morning. The vet agreed that it was time, so we proceeded from there. I brought some pieces of roast pork that I fed to her as a "last supper" - her appetite was intact - before and as the anaesthetic was administered, and I left when it had taken effect, before the lethal injection. I'm getting the ashes back and plan to bury her and her brother - four years dead but still in a dresser drawer at a friends' house in the country, with their highland cattle, llamas, donkeys, pigs and goats. In the city they'd be dug up and scattered within years.

So far I'm feeling better than expected. The anaesthetic stage was slow (three or four minutes) and gentle, so I got to pet her as she slowly went to sleep.

It seems Zoe had a gentle going. I offer my prayers and sympathy to Roger. It's so hard to let the dear ones go.

35 comments:

  1. So sorry, Roger. And she was indeed a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. clumber adds his sadness and gladness for the life of Zoe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. May she rest in peace and rise in glory! You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roger, I am personally buoyed by the thought that Zoe is romping and making friends with the late J.R., Willis, Peetee, and all the dog friends others on this blog love and remember.

    Funny; last night I was musing to myself last night looking into the night sky about "the dog star." Now I know why.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good night precious pet. Tinker and Belle send their condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What you did was a last act of LOVE for your pet - Assuring that they won't suffer is a gift. God Bless you. Giant Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sad for Roger, but confident that Zoe is with gamboling with others of her kind in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending hugs and love, and you are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Roger, my prayers are with you. It is hard to part with a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Roger, I am so very sorry for your loss. May Zoe rest in peace and may God's presence be with you in full measure at this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Lapinbizarre, I am so very, very sorry. I do know what it's like to make the decision you had to make and I'm glad for your sake and for Zoe's too that it was a peaceful and good death.

    May you be comforted.

    And may Zoe wait for you with joy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. May we all be so fortunate as to have compassionate masters as Zoe. Blessings and Sleep Well.
    Airedale

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lapin, you are in my prayers, and I am sure my own Black Bart and Miss Kate were in the welcoming party on the other side of life. I think Miss Kate may have met her match in Zoe!
    With love,
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  14. kittehs send their love too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry, Crazy Rabbit Roger! I've asked my purebred Alaskan Albatross Retriever Triste to give Zoe a special welcome. I'm sure many others have also made Zoe most welcome. Now prayers for you headed your way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Roger, I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss.

    Not long ago, a friend shared something she read that comforted her about her own dog. It was that animals don't fear death; they fear pain and confusion.

    By letting Zoe go, you saved her from what she feared most.

    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very sad, Lapin, but clearly done as I, at least, would like to go, surrounded by reliable love.

    Prayers for Zoe, and for you in your grief: truly the loss of a wonderful friend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Roger - my sympathy for your loss. We've had to say goodbye to our two very elderly dogs in the past couple of years. Even when the passing is gentle for them, the loss is not easy for us to bear. My prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are in my prayers tonight. Zoe was beautiful and obviously insightful in that way that our pets often are and that we can never quite understand. You did the loving thing for her, even as hard as it was for you to do. God bless you in your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rest in peace.

    Smoke and Sandstorm send purrs of comfort.

    FWIW
    jimB

    ReplyDelete
  21. {{{hugs}}} Roger/Lapin.

    Yesterday, or 20-25 years ago, we never forget them (Zoe, wag Hello to the Labs of my youth, Mitzi and Sasha)

    As cruel as the universe can be sometimes, I could NEVER believe we wouldn't see our Beloved Friends (2-legged and 4) again. As the Mad One says "Zoe has just gone ahead to make sure there's plenty of gravy in heaven". Lovin' the image of that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. My deepest condolences Lapinbizarre. Having recently lost my dearest furry companion, I know to an extent your grief and pain. Prayers are ascending...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hugs, and lots of sympathy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks and love to everyone, two legged and four, for their kindness and prayers. Roger

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I am so sorry for your loss and send prayers of healing and consolation.

    And yes- she looked positively regal and lovely. May she rest - and romp - in peace in the Kingdom.

    I pray for your sorrow Roger.

    ReplyDelete
  26. She's wearing an inmate-issue county detention center teeshirt in the photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a lovely thread of comments.

    ReplyDelete
  28. She looked regal in her inmate detention wear!

    A great lady is not limited by her wardrobe, but defines her own style!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Many thanks Fran. She certainly knew how to look regal in her day. She had a pedigree so impressive she probably wouldn't have spoken to us if she could have done so. Her paternal grandfather was a champion in five countries, among them the US, Russia and Finland (Finland??) He was also her great-grandfather on her mother's side. The well-bred can be a bit funny that way.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Molly the WonderDog and I send our condolences. Molly doesn't seem worried while I am crying. I suspect she knows something I do not. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lapinbizarre, I am so very for sorry for the loss of your dear Zoe. It is good tht she did not suffer in the end. May she rest in peace. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  32. Dear Lapin, You are a good and wise guardian. I give thanks for the life of your friend, clearly a magnificent dog, and pray that you will be comforted knowing that you will see her again.

    +rowan

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.