Friday, July 11, 2008

Family Togetherness Day


Day before yesterday, we had a good family day with children. My daughter and five of my six grandchildren visited, four boys and one girl. The only one not present was my oldest grandson, who is 16, and has a job this summer. My daughter and her three boys live in Jefferson Parish just outside of New Orleans, and the other two live here in Thibodaux. I wish I could show pictures, but my policy is not to publish pictures of members of my family.

When my daughter wasn't here by 12:45, Grandpère became grumpy, because it was way past his deadline of 12:00 to eat lunch. What can I say? His deadline is not everyone's deadline. I'm more a go-along type. I had to persuade him not to go ahead with the two grandchildren who were here but to wait for the rest to arrive. He's like a child when his best-laid plans are frustrated, especially his meal plans. I'm sorry to say that, but it's the truth.

After my daughter arrived, we headed to a local pizza restaurant (not a chain) which serves good pizzas and other Italian food. We settled the children into a booth, and we three adults sat at a table nearby. The booth kept the children confined, except for the two on the ends and various goings and comings to the rest rooms. One of the little ones has a restaurant food anxiety, so he made three trips thinking he might have to throw up. Poor baby. I hope this anxiety phase passes.

Once we returned home, the kids had a spirited game of Twister, with made-up orders to touch certain colored circles with the eye, the ear, the nose, the little toe, etc. Then they went upstairs. Upstairs usually means trouble, because they are far out of sight and sound, and they're too often up to mischief. We gave them a while, and then I went up, and it was total chaos. Two jumping on the bed, two having a rough wrestling match on the floor, and my granddaughter taking in the violent scene. I calmed them down, and stayed a while with them, but it was no longer as much fun with me there.

We trooped downstairs, and they all went out into the yard. Thanks be to God. The sky was overcast, with the temperature not too high, a great day to be outdoors. We have a wonderful back yard, and our dog Diana was delighted to run with them. Two large oaks reign in majesty, one tree good for climbing, a challenge, but not too great a challenge. It has three four large branches with crooks for safe (more or less) sitting or standing. Prayers for no one to fall, and no one falls. We have a large hammock in the yard, too. They took turns nicely, until all five ended up in the hammock at the same time. We handed out Popsicles, with Diana getting her share of licks from those that fell off the sticks or dropped on the ground.

Then, back in the house with my daughter and her three sons preparing to leave. All five begged to spend the night, which would have had to be without their parents, since my son and daughter both had commitments the next day. The last time we had a slumber party, it was rough on Grandpère and me. We had a difficult time getting them settled, but finally got them down after running up and down the stairs several times to quiet them. The next morning, when we went upstairs, all five were sound asleep in one queen-size bed, some facing one way, and some the other. When they woke up, we asked them why, and they said they got scared in the middle of the night and decided they'd all sleep together.

By that evening, I was exhausted, and I said, "I'm sorry, kids, I love you, but not tonight". They begged, but I stood firm. I was not prepared for them and not up to having them that night. I truly love them all dearly, but I was ready for peace and quiet.

UPDATE: I added a picture of the climbing tree.

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like lots of fun to me, Mimi! But I don't blame you for ending the fun before bedtime. Best to not have a great day of enjoyment and love disintegrate into "boy I wish they'd go home!"

    T acts the same as Grandpere' when his mealtimes are disrupted. I had to laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandmere --what a blessed day! Lucky kids --dogs, cool treats, jumping and wrestling.... my grandmother's house was never as good as that!

    (and good for you on not letting them spend the night--one must always be prepared for that!)

    many blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like Diana got the better end of things.

    Glad you had a fun day. Tell Grandpère I've been a little grumpy lately too. I suspect we'll both get over it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Grandpère and my father must be brothers! My dad is exactly the same about his 12:00 lunchtime. And my mother is more like you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm laughing now at my quote, "I'm sorry, kids, I love you, but not tonight". Change one word, and what do you have? Shame on me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tell Grandpère that some of us were raised on the principle that only shop-girls eat lunch at noon.

    Fine tree indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phil, you're of English heritage, aren't you? "Shop-girls" gave you away. Nevertheless, I will pass that word on to GP.

    I see that the tree has four large branches and not three. The bench gives the climbers a boost up. From the size of the bench, you can gage the actual size of the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I hear that's the beauty of being a grandparent--you get to send them home.

    It sounds like they all enjoyed themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ruth, exactly. You said that, not me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful family story, awesome tree. Blessings on your whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a lovely tree, Mimi.

    Poor Grandpa. I know how that having to eat on schedule is.

    I envy you your grandchildren, but I don't think there will be 5 for us, as we only have one son and he hasn't married again yet. But we'll see. He's a liberal Episcopalian priest, and you know us liberals don't reproduce as much as those conservatives! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Susan, we have six grandchildren, ages 8 to 16. One was not here. I believe that we're done. No more coming.

    I hope that you have one or two. The young people of today are not marrying as early, either, and that affects the birth rate.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.