Friday, July 11, 2008

Feast Day Of St. Benedict Of Nursia


Prayer ought to be short and pure, unless it be prolonged by the inspiration of Divine grace. St. Benedict

Readings:

Psalm 1 or 34:1-8
Proverbs 2:1-9
Luke 14:27-33

PRAYER

Almighty and everlasting God, whose precepts are the wisdom of a loving Father: Give us grace, following the teaching and example of your servant Benedict, to walk with loving and willing hearts in the school of the Lord's service; let your ears be open to our prayers; and prosper with your blessing the work of our hands; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

From "The Rule of Saint Benedict":

Girded with a faith, and the performance of good works, let us follow in Christ's path by the guidance of the Gospel; then we shall deserve to see him "who has called us into his kingdom." If we wish to attain a dwelling place in his kingdom, we shall not reach it unless we hasten there by our good deeds.

Just as there exists an evil fervor, a bitter spirit, which divides us from God and leads us to hell, so there is a good fervor which sets us apart from evil inclinations and leads us toward God and eternal life. No one should follow what he considers to be good for himself, but rather what seems good for another. Let them put Christ before all else; and may he lead us all to everlasting life.


Happy Feast of St. Benedict to Prior Aelred and his brother monks at St. Gregory's Abbey and to all those around the world who follow the "The Rule of St. Benedict". Padre Mickey says that the monks at St. Gregory were allowed to sleep until 5:30 AM in honor of the feast. I'm not asking what time they get up on a normal day.

Padre Mickey posted a wonderful biography of St. Benedict, along with two lovely icons.

8 comments:

  1. Grandmere thank you! What a balm to see this image today. I'm in the middle of a hugely stressful move to seminary and there is the Abbey (specifically the altar where we gather for Eucharist) that is my spiritual sanctuary. :)

    The abbot and brother monks there truly practice the Benedictine art of hospitality. I go as often as I can for retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tandaina, thank you. I've never been to St. Gregory's, but I hope one day to make a retreat there. I'd better not put it off too long, if I want to do it in this life. It's a lovely chapel from the picture.

    Prayers for you in the midst of your stressful move.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a little digital retreat for you. These two sets of photos were taken at the abbey, one on my advent retreat and the other in June:

    Advent retreat

    Abbey June

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mimi...thanks for the offer to post for prayers here on your blog. I desire and appreciate prayers. They keep me going when I don't want to go.

    Thanks so much, Roseann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roseann, will do. I'll copy what's posted at OCICBW.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tandaina, thanks for the black and white pictures from St. Gregory. I like them black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so spoiled: I go to St. Gregory's every couple of weeks! :-) [And will be there again this Thursday, "DV", as Prior would say]

    I report some good news from Prior Aelred: the number of men trying on a vocation in their "July Monk" program, is the highest he can remember!

    St. Gregory's is also in the midst of a building program: they've torn down the old farm house (a place I will always have fond memories of, as a home of the kitties: Xena, Gabrielle and Booger), in order to build a bell tower, and complete the abbey masterplan.

    Keep 'em all in your prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. JCF, I envy you. You must live nearby. I "know" Prior Aelred virtually, and I get the Abbey newsletter. I'm quite pleased to hear that a good number of men are interested in "trying out" a vocation. It sounds like a lovely place.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.