Wednesday, July 2, 2008

From One Of Our Own

From the letters section in the Advocate, Baton Rouge, Louisiana:

I am disappointed with your article of June 21 titled “An Anglican mission: African bishop encourages Baton Rouge church.” I believe that the article could unnecessarily confuse or offend some readers. I wish to clarify some items.

Episcopalians are Anglicans and are recognized as such by the worldwide Anglican Communion. The Episcopal Church is the official representative of the Anglican Communion in America. It is erroneous to suggest otherwise.

The Anglican Mission of the Americas Church mentioned in the article is not recognized throughout the Anglican Communion in this way. It should not have been suggested through the comments of the interviewees alone what the Episcopal Church teaches.


The entire letter is worth reading. It was written by The Rev. Ken Ritter, rector, Trinity Episcopal Church, dean, Baton Rouge-South Deanery, Diocese of La., Baton Rouge.

Here's the link to the article to which Fr Ritter refers. Irony abounds. The visiting bishop who will save the unhappy ex-Episcopalians in Baton Rouge is from Rwanda! You'd think his mission work at home would keep him occupied.

7 comments:

  1. oh dear. contrary to some popular opinion, they will not stop and will continue to mine as they can.

    it is troubling, and I would be troubled, also.

    often, when I read these articles, I find they NEVER mention WO... a BIG issue. I guess they never mention it in the west because, afterall, 1/2 the households unmarried are women, many with children, and they don't take kindly to being considered second-class citizens by God or anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cany, they won't stop. Now they are at work to divide and conquer in the Church of England. I knew this was coming, and the Archbishop of Canterbury should have seen it too. He's got a fine mess on his hands over there now.

    I can't get over that the bishop that came to save the middle-class ex-Episcopalians in Baton Rouge was from Rwanda. I wonder if they asked him to send one of his priests to minister to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mimi, I reprinted the whole letter on my blog, before I saw that you had printed part of it also. Je te prie pardon!

    I notice from the photo that "All Saints" is a misnomer. The congregation appears to be all white.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ormonde, no apology necessary. I'm glad you did. I want the word to get around. Yes, I noted that there appear to be no black saints at All Saints - except the bishop during his visit. I wonder if he found that odd.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have just read all the comments in the Advocate. Holy Mother of God! They give life to the old saying that a pine curtain stretches across Louisiana, starting along the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain, with rigidity to the north and joie de vivre to the south.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ormonde, it's not pretty, is it? I had to leave a word for Fr Ritter.

    And our part, the joie de vivre area, is sinking into the Gulf.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.