Thursday, September 18, 2008

Brownout!

Well, I'm having an interesting morning day. I had a partial power outage in my house. Some rooms had power, others did not. Then the electricity came back on, but in brownout mode where the outage had been. The brownout scared me more, because of what weak power can do to appliances and computers. I was working at my computer when I lost power.

I've been on the phone several times with the power company, Entergy, not the best company, with their punching numbers game, and I've been in touch with the electrician, who is due here shortly. Grandpère is out of town, of course. He misses all the good stuff.

Several years ago, my neighbor cut the main line that brings electricity to my house. (The utilities are buried.) Since then, the power company has come twice to repair the line. It could be that again, or I suppose it could be something in the house wiring. What fun! Dim, bright, dim, bright. Should I switch the main breaker to "off"?

I'm on my laptop connected through DSL through my phone service.

UPDATE: The electrician came, and it's definitely the power company's problem.

10 comments:

  1. I've never heard of such an odd thing - power in one room, out in the next! Glad you have a few leads on the cause already. Any chance it's hurricane-related?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The above poster "the" would be me, hitting enter at an inopportune time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann, please!

    Hi The. The power company is still working on the lines around here. The line could have nicks in it that the repairmen didn't see when they fixed it the other two times. If miosture gets in the line, strange things happen.

    My neighbor has cut my phone line more than once. He's cut my TV cable line more than once, and he cut my main electric line doing various work and construction in his yard. He's a building contractor. I'm not kidding. For some reason, portions of my lines are buried in his yard.

    The power company should probably replace the whole line, but they continue to put in splices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not fair on your birthday, Mimi! (And what's up with the guy cutting your lines? Doesn't he know "Call Before You Dig!"?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you're going through this hassle. And I can relate. We had phone / Internet / TV issues for four days.

    Don't you have one of those services to call to mark underground utility lines? Here it's required by law to call J.U.L.I.E. before digging, and if you cut lines, you are financially responsible. I would think a building contractor would know better than to dig without checking with authorities, especially if he's done this multiple times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doxy, Ruth, we do have the call before you dig service, but he didn't bother to call. Did I say he was a building contractor?

    The icing on the birthday cake is that just a while ago, the folks who were picking up the debris from the hurricanes knocked down the light pole in front of my house. They say that they will put it back up just as it was. I can be thankful that my car wasn't parked under it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One heck of a way to spend your birthday!

    BTW, Happy, happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad it is the company responsibility. I have the opposite problem with my neighbour's lines crossing my land through my trees. Once, while trying to clear the branches, I brought down their phone line. However the phone company recognised I was trying to do the right thing and better than having it occur during a storm. Now my neighbour helps me whenever I do the clearing. Neigbours should be more thoughtful of each other.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's probably the splice that went bad again. The repairman told me that once the line is cut and spliced, it is never the same. We have power from something that looks like a small rolling transformer for now. They will return when they can to find the bad spot and put in another splice. Some folks down the bayou still do not have their electricity back yet, so the workers are quite busy.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.