Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Happy Birthday Archbishop Desmond Tutu!


Shame, shame, shame on me. Fran, a Roman Catholic, scooped me in remembering Archbishop Tutu's birthday. Do visit her site, FranIAm to see her lovely post on the dear, dear man.

God's dream is that you and I and all of us will realize that we are family, that we are made for togetherness, for goodness, and for compassion. In God’s family, there are no outsiders, no enemies. Black and white, rich and poor, gay and straight, Jew and Arab, Muslim and Christian, Hindu and Buddhist, Hutu and Tutsi, Pakistani and Indian—all belong. When we start to live as brothers and sisters and to recognize our interdependence, we become fully human.

This dream can be found throughout the Bible and has been repeated by all of God's prophets right down to Martin Luther King, Jr., and Mahatma Gandhi.


Just the other day, I received his authorized biography in the mail. I have not read it yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Image from Wiki.

4 comments:

  1. Scooped by an RC!!

    You make me laugh and you honor me with your words and link. I have been a terrible blogger of late and it was pure luck I put that up.

    Thanks Mimi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sistah Fran, thanks. Now go pet that new doggy. He's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday to the Downright Awesome Desmond Tutu.

    It does not surprise me in the slightest that he's a Libra. Not that I believe in that stuff, of course.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.