Sunday, December 7, 2008

Pearl Harbor - In Memoriam


From the Naval Historical Center:

The 7 December 1941 Japanese raid on Pearl Harbor was one of the great defining moments in history. A single carefully-planned and well-executed stroke removed the United States Navy's battleship force as a possible threat to the Japanese Empire's southward expansion. America, unprepared and now considerably weakened, was abruptly brought into the Second World War as a full combatant.

World War I, or The Great War, was to be the war that ended all wars, but - Alas! - it was not to be. The twentieth century was full of bloody wars. Early in 21st century, we were once again at war on two fronts. When will we ever learn?

World War I

World War II

Korean War

Vietnam War

Desert Storm

War in Afghanistan

War in Iraq



Prayer For Those in the Armed Forces of Our Country

Almighty God, we commend to your gracious care and keeping all the men and women of our armed forces at home and abroad. Defend them day by day with your heavenly grace; strengthen them in their trials and temptations; give them courage to face the perils which beset them; and grant them a sense of your abiding presence wherever they may be; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

(Book of Common Prayer, p. 823)

Prayer for Peace

Eternal God, in whose perfect kingdom no sword is drawn but the sword of righteousness, no strength known but the strength of love: So mightily spread abroad your Spirit, that all peoples may be gathered under the banner of the Prince of Peace, as children of one Father; to whom be dominion and glory, now and for ever. Amen.

(Book of Common Prayer, p.815)

Photo from Wiki.

15 comments:

  1. Amen to that and for all who serve abroad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mimi, you didn't go back far enough...what about Spanish American War, Civil War, Mexican American War, War of 1812...what about the numerous undeclared actions where we sent in troops to the various countries of Latin America...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renz, I listed only the wars in the 20th century, love. There were little wars like Grenada and our proxy wars in Central America, which I also did not mention. I leave that for you to do in an expanded post on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, I got carried away. I'm sorry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had an older relative, Jim Cory, (he was also a close childhood friend of my father) who was a Marine stationed in Pearl Harbor 12/7/41. He was on the Arizona. He was one of only 13 survivors from that ship. He said that all he remembered was being on duty up in the radio mast and hearing the bomb go down the smokestack. The next thing he knew, he was swimming in the harbor. He did not remember the explosion or being thrown out of the mast.

    He survived 2 more torpedoed ships after that in the war.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Renz, no apology necessary, my dear. I can't do everything. I have a remnant of an offline life left.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Counterlight, one of only 13 survivors? And his ships torpedoed twice more? He was a fortunate man, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for commemorating this date, Grandmere Mimi. I think a lot of people forget Dec. 7th these days.

    Great video of "Where Have All the Flowers Gone."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mauigirl, this morning, as soon as I saw the date, I remembered. I was 7 years old at the time, and I didn't even know where Pearl Harbor was, but I remember the solemnity of all the adults as they heard the news. I knew that we were going to war.

    ReplyDelete
  11. And when will we ever learn? When will we ever learn?

    That question is not just for us in the U.S. It is a question for all of humanity.

    There is no answer, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will add my amen to the prayers.

    That MakeMoneyOnline guy has me in tears, though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. We may never learn.

    The MakeMoneyOnline guy is gone. Adios, muchacho.

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of my favorite lines from Radio Days was Mia Farrow saying, "Pearl Harbor...who's she?" only with a thick accent.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Renz, I wanted to add in parentheses after WW I (Yes, there really was a World War I). A good many young folks don't seem to know that.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.