Wednesday, January 28, 2009

They Make Me Crazy

From the Baton Rouge Advocate:

Louisiana legislators debated Tuesday whether insurance companies should be forced to cover the cost of vaccinating teens and pre-teens to prevent a cancer-causing virus.

At issue is the fact that the virus — human papillomavirus or HPV — is sexually transmitted.

State Sen. Gerald Long, R-Natchitoches, spoke for many opponents who feared a state-mandated coverage of the vaccinations would lead to increased sexual activity among teenagers.

“It would seem to me,” Long said, “… that we almost tell our young people, ‘It’s OK. It’s OK to practice sex.’ ”

State Rep. Juan LaFonta, D-New Orleans, said the virus can lead to cervical cancer.

He said he knows a 19-year-old woman who had to have a hysterectomy because of the virus.

“Why aren’t people talking about this?” he said. “It’s really a woman’s health issue.”


Folks like Sen. Gerald Long make me crazy. As though the young people need a license to "practice" sex. They just do it. Of course, the state run sex education programs in Louisiana are pathetic, leaving such gaps that the young people might believe that the vaccine protects them from all STDs, or even from pregnancy. The short version of sex education for teen-agers in Louisiana is, "Don't do it until you're married."

As Sen. LaFonta says, it's a woman's health issue. It's not about teen-agers having sex.

UPDATE FROM THE COMMENTS:

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "They Make Me Crazy":

This of course ignores the fact that some young girls get HPV because they are sexually abused by an infected man. That's what happened to me, but I'm remaining anonymous at the moment because it's just to personal (however, y'all do know me). It is something I have to live with for the rest of my life, and be vigilant about testing. I've already had one cancer scare because of it (thankfully, was not cancer). No one ever talks about children who get STDs from rape and sexual abuse, and have to live with that legacy the rest of their lives -- something they did not ask for and wholly do not deserve. It often causes problems forming relationships later in life, as potential spouses often don't care how you got it, the stigma remains. No one wants to date someone with a known STD, you know? I was lucky and found a spouse who understood, but dated some that did not. I'd love to hear the politicians discuss this issue in those terms. They'd be lining their daughters up to get the vaccine.

Anon1

22 comments:

  1. Ya know, if kids think they'll die from sex, they'll never do it, just like they'll avoid sex if they think that it may lead to pregnancy. That's why the U.S.A. has absolutely no teen-age mothers. AND abstinence really works! No! Really! Just ask your local Republican! /snark

    ReplyDelete
  2. ‘It’s OK. It’s OK to practice sex.’ ”

    Is sex a professional pursuit in Louisiana? Seems to me if it was, the gov't could regulate it.

    Or are they worried the kids might get good at it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is sex a professional pursuit in Louisiana?

    Rmj, it is, indeed, as I'm sure it is in Texas. And in Nevada, they do regulate it.

    Or are they worried the kids might get good at it?

    Pope's "A little learning is a dangerous thing...." applies here.

    No, not that pope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "“It would seem to me,” Long said, “… that we almost tell our young people, ‘It’s OK. It’s OK to practice sex.’"

    That seems to be the message conveyed by the senior Republican official in the state, Senator Vitter . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim, Vitter is another whole crazy-making deal entirely. What a hypocrite! How can we get him out of the Congress? William Jefferson is gone, and I hope that Vitter is the next to go. His colleagues in the Senate don't like him and want him gone, just so his replacement is a Republican. Will any Republican have the courage to take him on?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sex, in the form of a whorehouse district named Storyville, was regulated in New Orleans until the Navy closed the district during World War I. The Navy was worried about sailors having sex.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ormonde, that's right!

    The Navy was worried about sailors having sex.

    LOL for sure. I'm still laughing. The dissonance!

    Still laughing. I can't stop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are all missing a key part of the Republican solution here. The girls must carry guns.

    After all, if girls carried concealed hand weapons, then boys would be deterred from passing on STDs. Right?

    We don't need no stinking vaccines. Nor stinking taxes. Just a shootout. God and guns, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sure...abstinence programs... how's that working out for you guys, Bristol an Jamie-Lynn?

    If it offends you, don't tell your kids it protects against an STD... Tell them it's a cancer vaccine. Good grief!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grandmère Mimi: I've been following your blog for the past month or so. This comment is more apropos of my crush on you (Gardez, Grandpère!) than this post about HPV vaccine. But to tie the two together, I'd just like to thank you for the always reasoned and sage way you balance the problems of the world and still maintain your good church-lady non-judgmentalism. Muhwahhhh! (That's a big air kiss from me, I don't care what Gramps thinks.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. God and guns, right?

    John, that's the solution to so many problems in the country, if only folks would listen.

    Tell them it's a cancer vaccine. Good grief!!

    Hillbilly, exactly. They're obsessed, I tell ya, obsessed with sex. Everything is sex, sex, sex! It makes you wonder about their personal issues.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We'Po', welcome. I see that you're a fellow Louisianian. Thanks for the good words. I don't know about the "good" church lady. I'm a church lady, for sure, but some might quarrel with the "good". Thanks for visiting and leaving a few words.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know I have several things to say about this but they are all snarky and borderline inappropriate. But, you know I'm thinking them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lindy, I'm trying to read your mind, and I suspect that I know some of what you have to say, but probably not the full measure of the snarky and borderline inappropriate that lurks there. We are very likely in agreement on most of it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I notice that they don't refuse to cover lung cancer for fear of encouraging smoking or refuse to cover heart disease for fear of encouraging eating cheeseburgers.

    Arrrrrgggghhh.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just wish they had made the vaccine for boys instead of girls as they are as likely to carry the virus --it seems they always like to experiment (they really don't know the long term affects of this vaccine) with young girls' bodies..... just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  17. Margaret, I know what you mean. First there were the birth control pills for females, an experiment with too high dosages in the beginning, and now this, with no true knowledge of long term side effects. Still, if I had a daughter, I'd want her to have the vaccine. The effects of the disease seem to be far worse on women than men. The females always seem to bear the brunt of taking responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  18. They introduced this vaccination quietly and without fuss at my daughters' school, the younger one already had her 2 jabs, the older year groups will catch up during the next couple of years.

    Incidentally, my 14 year old came home yesterday with graphic descriptions of powerpoint slides on the reality of sexually transmitted diseases. It grossed them all out and I'm pretty sure it's improved their view on the importance of proper protection.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This of course ignores the fact that some young girls get HPV because they are sexually abused by an infected man. That's what happened to me, but I'm remaining anonymous at the moment because it's just to personal (however, y'all do know me). It is something I have to live with for the rest of my life, and be vigilant about testing. I've already had one cancer scare because of it (thankfully, was not cancer). No one ever talks about children who get STDs from rape and sexual abuse, and have to live with that legacy the rest of their lives -- something they did not ask for and wholly do not deserve. It often causes problems forming relationships later in life, as potential spouses often don't care how you got it, the stigma remains. No one wants to date someone with a known STD, you know? I was lucky and found a spouse who understood, but dated some that did not. I'd love to hear the politicians discuss this issue in those terms. They'd be lining their daughters up to get the vaccine.

    Anon1

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anon1, thanks for your comment. That's vital information for everyone. I bumped it up to the post.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Erika, I don't see that happening in Louisiana anytime soon, if ever, but it's a very good thing to let the kids see the reality.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.