Friday, February 27, 2009

Oh, My Goodness! Not "Really" True!


From TPM Muckraker:

Looks like the game is up.

Remember that story Bobby Jindal told in his big speech Tuesday night -- about how during Katrina, he stood shoulder-to-shoulder with a local sheriff who was battling government red tape to try to rescue stranded victims?

Turns out it wasn't actually, you know, true.

....

Jindal had described being in the office of Sheriff Harry Lee "during Katrina," and hearing him yelling into the phone at a government bureaucrat who was refusing to let him send volunteer boats out to rescue stranded storm victims, because they didn't have the necessary permits. Jindal said he told Lee, "that's ridiculous," prompting Lee to tell the bureaucrat that the rescue effort would go ahead and he or she could arrest both Lee and Jindal.
....

But now, a Jindal spokeswoman has admitted to Politico that in reality, Jindal overheard Lee talking about the episode to someone else by phone "days later." The spokeswoman said she thought Lee, who died in 2007, was being interviewed about the incident at the time.


Pecadillo! Pecadillo! Why don't the bloggers leave Governor Jindal alone?

Take note that it was first xgz at Daily Kos and then TPM who scooped the big media on the story. Who knows when BM would have unearthed the story, if ever.

UPDATE: Apologies to Big Media, Keith Olbermann, who said on Wednesday evening, "It looks like he made it up."

H/T to JCF in the comments.

UPDATE 2: The very, very, very, very latest from Jindal staffer, Tom Teepell, "This is liberal blogger B.S. The story is clear." Read TPM Muckraker to find out exactly how clear the story is.

21 comments:

  1. Was just coming over to see if you'd noticed this.

    Stick a fork in 'im, he's done! (sorry to repeat myself)

    Shortest national political career in my memory. Jindal has flamed out faster than Thompson, Giuliani, or Romney. Simply amazing.

    You've still gotta wonder: why would you bring up the worst disaster in your state's recent history in your first speech to the nation? What kind of political tin ear was that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry...BM has only one meaning for me, so I have no earthly idea what or who BM is.

    I sorta suspected that the story Jindal told was BM, but what do I know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jindal's speech reminds me of Katrina. The ill consequences continue long after the actual event.

    Susan, BM is now a double entendre. It's pretty good, don't you think? I wonder if I'm actually the first to use it to refer to Big Media. I'm tired to death of MSM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a jive turkey. I'm so not surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keith Olbermann had this story pretty quick, Mimi (by Wednesday night). Don't lump Keith (and Rachel Maddow) with all the MSM (or BM! ;-X).

    ReplyDelete
  6. JCF, my apologies to BM Keith, then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did anyone else notice that he gave the impression, during his speech, of seeming maybe just a wee bit "light in the loafers"?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lapin, LOL. Actually, you're the first that I know of to mention that. Could it be?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is the existence of Ray Nagin the only thing that's keeping Jindal from being the most disliked and ridiculed figure in Louisiana politics right now?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, Bubs. What did we do to deserve them? Oh yeah. We elected them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bet he'll claim foreign policy expertise because he can see Cuba from NOLA.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Susankay ... not to worry ... that's just Grand Isle, Louisiana ... which doesn't count as foreign experience.

    How do I know it's Grand Isle you may ask ... well ... back during the Cuban Missile Crisis ... that's what my grandmother's told me -- right after exclaiming "Lord Have Mercy!" -- upon discovering me on the roof of her 3-story New Orleans house ... looking for Havana.

    In retrospect, I realize that wasn't the safest place for a five-year-old.

    Grandmère Mimi, I'm Hopper. I hope you will not think poorly of me for having addressed another's comment prior introducing myself. Oh what a rush of fond memories with that reference to seeing Cuba.

    My good friend Susan S (she's my favorite soprano) directed me here. And ... I'm very glad I listened to her.

    If you permit ... I'd love to visit again. We need more Episcopalians like you. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hopper, welcome. Your comment about seeing Cuba from the top of your grandmother's house in New Orleans made me laugh. During the Cuban Missile Crisis, we were living in Mobile, Alabama, and I imagined that I could see the missiles in Cuba pointed at us from there. However, I was in my 20s, not 5. Like Jindal, I saw them, but I couldn't "really" see them, if you know what I mean.

    Come back any time, Hopper. Any friend of Susan S. is a friend of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WE did not elect Nagin, the BUS LOADS of evacuees did. Bus loads of people were SHIPPED back to New Orleans just to vote. The buses were provided by "Jesse Jackson" and his organization. GO FIGURE

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous, if you return to leave another comment, sign a name, any name.

    You left out that white, uptown folks, who hate the Landrieu family with a passion, did their part to help put Nagin back in office in the second time around.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mimi, everytime I see a pic of your governor I'm reminded of Bob Denver in either of his two famous roles: Gilligan or Maynard G. Krebs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mr. Rogers, Kenneth the Page, and now Bob Denver. Who's next? Maybe we should have a Bobby Jindal look-alike contest.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's Bobby's serious look in the picture. Too much like a frown, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now Now, lay off Bobby. LOL We have more serious proplems. OBAMA--LOL
    I am still trying to figure out how to be a perm on here

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.